DRLs on cars - apparently it's all our fault!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

henshaw11

As a (n ex-)motorcyclist I'm not happy about DRL - you use the headlight to help the numpties in cars spot you, 'cos all they're usually looking for is large lumps on the road. Wih DRL all you'll get is the same numpties looking for headlight-sized lights. Most bike lights aren't that great at night, during the day - as already mentioned if you could be bothered to read it - they'll be even more easily be missed amongst all the other light clutter.

MartinC

Über Member
This, all of it, is too long to bother replying to, especially as IMO it is 99.9999999999999% wrong.

DRLs will be a positive contribution to everyone's safety and will not disadvantage cyclists or anyone else.

Cycling is safer now than at any time sine the 1940s, and statistically is 4 times safer than when I started in the 1960s, so no you don't need all your lights or high visibility stuff, but it does help others to see you early. So does mine.

Contradiction.

hatler

Guru
This, all of it, is too long to bother replying to, especially as IMO it is 99.9999999999999% wrong.

DRLs will be a positive contribution to everyone's safety and will not disadvantage cyclists or anyone else.

Cycling is safer now than at any time sine the 1940s, and statistically is 4 times safer than when I started in the 1960s, so no you don't need all your lights or high visibility stuff, but it does help others to see you early. So does mine.

I presume you mean the emboldened statement above if cyclists use DRLs as well ?

If not, this statement is clearly incorrect.

Even if they do, I would disagree. Motors will always be able to produce brighter lights thereby putting cyclists at a disadvantage.

Let's leave aside the issue of obliging cyclists to use DRLs putting people off cycling in the first place, thereby reducing the number of cyclists, thereby reducing safety for all (see CTC's Safety in Numbers).

My view: DRLs will increase risk for cyclists.

GrasB

Veteran
I find DRLs useful when on the open road in dull conditions, often they mean I can see a vehicle far earlier through hedges etc than without them. Around town however they're more a hindrance further adding to the information overload already present. That said since I've gone to LI-ION battery in light solutions I've been running lights day & night on my bike.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I'm with Mad@ourage on this one...

DLRs on the cars and we'll have more SMIDSY's with cyclists on the "receiving end". Not just cars hitting cyclists, because drivers will be looking for lights, not other road users, but also dozy peds stepping out in front of bikes will become a major problem IMO.

£300 of lighting on our bikes and we might start to even up the balance a little - but we are never going to be able to compete with lights on motor vehicles.

OP
OP
M

Mad at urage

Which of it is wrong?

Our eyes are naturally attracted to bright objects and we will always see the brightly-lit object in preference to the less brightly lit?

But that's why DRLs work for those cars fitted with them! They are brighter than the unlit/dimly lit objects around them and attract peoples attention away from those other objects.

Is the amount of lighting now deemed 'normal' by cyclists and expected by motorists less than it was 15 years ago? No, more lighting is expected.

Is lighting us up like Christmas Trees laughed at by non-cyclists? Yes it is (especially kids).

Does this ridicule discourage people from cycling? Yes it does.

Does the extra cost of all this hi-tech lighting put people off cycling? Yes, demonstrably so.

Will motor vehicles always be able to generate more light than non-motorised? Yes, they have spare power to do so.

Come on Davidc, in your opinion "DRLs will be a positive contribution to everyone's safety and will not disadvantage cyclists or anyone else": Justify that by telling me why all of the above "is 99.9999999999999% wrong".

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
DRLs are part of a process of lighting escalation that cyclists and pedestrians will always lose.
I reckon that's right.

Having said that, dom knows a thing or two about this, and, if he's still reading this thread I'd ask him if he thought that the reduction in pedestrian/bus coming togethers might not be counterbalanced by meetings of vehicles less well lit and pedestrians - and I'd include bicycles in the vehicle category.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Cyclists will have to join in at all hours just to stay safe by 2025, when most of the cars on the road will have DRLs

Maybe bikes will be sold with integral lights ?

I have followed this thread from its inception and have marvelled at the degree of paranoia and stress that the forthcoming implementation of daylight running light has caused. I have cycled quite long distances on a number of occasions in all the Scandinavian countries and a fair number of their cities where daylight running lights are mandatory – TBH apart from mentally acknowledging that DRLs exist I never really noticed them – or felt in the slightest that I was somehow submerged in a malevolent sea of luminescence - neither did I get confused in any way about the identity of any vehicle – suffer from temporary blindness - epileptic fits or nausea.

I note that in the countries where they have been adopted there has been no mention of the wholesale slaughter of cyclists due to their adoption – or for that matter the slightest increase (most are well in decline) in their ksi over the period they have been used – nor have I observed that the indigenous cycling populations have felt it necessary to arm themselves with retaliatory multi candela weapons to counter the use of DLRs.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't see the point myself. I think people are basically talking about dull and winter rather than all year round (yeah I know that's not the official line). In this context I don't see why you wouldn't redefine lighting up times and have a winter dipped headlight lighting up time that ran from 1st November till 28th of February being some later/earlier time say 1hr than sunrise/sunset rather than 1hr30 later which is the situation at present. I also don't trust the manufacturers to come up with something practical - these are the people that brought us the appalling xenon headlights and all the problems that went with them.

It won't make that much difference to cyclists the vast majority of the time, the concern would be in winter/early spring/late autumn rush hour traffic chocked commutes vs 50 other headlights/DRL. I think it'd probably be useful to pedestrians though.

Davidc

Guru
OK, I'll put my comments in. I think you are wrong, and that DRLs will inprove road safety. So do those who've studied the issue for Europe (AFAIK it's not the EU it's the roads body which includes other states as well
Which of it is wrong?

Our eyes are naturally attracted to bright objects and we will always see the brightly-lit object in preference to the less brightly lit? Great - so everyone will notice cars more. Safer for everyone.

But that's why DRLs work for those cars fitted with them! They are brighter than the unlit/dimly lit objects around them and attract peoples attention away from those other objects. No, they solely and exclusively make the cars more noticeable. Zero effect on everything else. You ar e talking absolute nonesense.

Is the amount of lighting now deemed 'normal' by cyclists and expected by motorists less than it was 15 years ago? No, more lighting is expected.

It's a part of the process by which our roads have become safer for all, including cyclits. We kill and injure less people now than at any time in the past 65 years, that includes cyclists. Still far too many but less than in the past.

Is lighting us up like Christmas Trees laughed at by non-cyclists? Yes it is (especially kids). Not to any extent. You are wrong.

Does this ridicule discourage people from cycling? Yes it does. No, not to any significant extent. Any disouragement is from the (incorrect) perception that cyling is dangerous and from the culture where cars are seen as 'cool'.

Does the extra cost of all this hi-tech lighting put people off cycling? Yes, demonstrably so. No, not in the slightest. The cost of effective daytime lighting for a bike, as fitted to my round town bike, is no more than £20. For that you get lighting which gets complaints about its brighness (2 x 1/2 watt Smarts at the back at £5 each, Electron 4 LED front at £7.50 which gives high intensity low illumination. No use for seeing the way in the dark but shows up like a lighthouse).

Will motor vehicles always be able to generate more light than non-motorised? Yes, they have spare power to do so. But they won't, they'll operate with the legal minimum finding the cheapest way to meet the rules. Power, using LEDs, is a marginal issue.

Come on Davidc, in your opinion "DRLs will be a positive contribution to everyone's safety and will not disadvantage cyclists or anyone else": Justify that by telling me why all of the above "is 99.9999999999999% wrong". You are wrong, the experience in other countries demonstrates that I am right, thats why it's being introduced Europe-wide. I can find no logic, sense or reason in your arguments. I am absolutely in favour of DRL. I'm not expecting to persuade you - only the positive results of their introduction will do that.

Im my 'ideal world' private motorised transport would cease to exist and the commercial variety would come under some close control, removing much of the need for measures like DRL. Unfortunately I'm in a minority and it won't happen so mitigating measures are needed.

OP
OP
M

Mad at urage

"Great - so everyone will notice cars more. Safer for everyone."
At the expense of noticing other things ...:whistle:

"No, they solely and exclusively make the cars more noticeable. Zero effect on everything else. You ar e talking absolute nonesense."
Ahhh, so the nub of your argument is that people's attention is infinite: Causing people to take more notice of one thing does not detract from their ability to notice other important items. This contradicts my experience (try listening to birdsong whilst someone plays rock music in the next garden. Notice that car indicator lights are not noticeable if you are in the direct line of the headlights - this is called ‘visual darkening').
The extension of this of course is that mobile 'phone use whilst driving is not dangerous: After all, people can divide their attention between infinite number of things and still pay attention to them all. Wrong David, they can't. People will look for car-bright lights and ignore dimmer or unlit bikes.

"It's a part of the process by which our roads have become safer for all, including cyclits. We kill and injure less people now than at any time in the past 65 years, that includes cyclists. Still far too many but less than in the past."
We'd kill and injure even less people if no-one ever went out except in brightly-lit cars but the increased deaths caused by lack of exercise would more than compensate; this is exactly what has been happening over the past 65 years.

"Is lighting us up like Christmas Trees laughed at by non-cyclists? Not to any extent. You are wrong."
WaaaHAHaHA!!!! :laugh: No David, you are wrong. From my personal experience, many do laugh at cycle wear. Perhaps I mix a bit more than you do in non-cycling circles but it is certainly seen as ridiculous by many.

"Does this ridicule discourage people from cycling? No, not to any significant extent. Any disouragement is from the (incorrect) perception that cyling is dangerous and from the culture where cars are seen as 'cool'."
Wrong again (and highlighted by your admission that cars are "cool" - a.o.t. dressing like a Christmas Tree).
First the two issues are directly linked: It is believed that we need to dress ridiculously because cycling is unsafe.
Second many of my colleagues over the years have wished they dared to cycle, but "couldn't bring myself to dress like that, I'd look like an idiot". People are very image-conscious you know!

"Does the extra cost of all this hi-tech lighting put people off cycling? No, not in the slightest. The cost of effective daytime lighting for a bike, as fitted to my round town bike, is no more than £20. For that you get lighting which gets complaints about its brighness (2 x 1/2 watt Smarts at the back at £5 each, Electron 4 LED front at £7.50 which gives high intensity low illumination. No use for seeing the way in the dark but shows up like a lighthouse). "
Oh! These: http://www.google.co...ed=0CDAQ8wIwAw# and http://www.bikeradar...ar-light-29688?
Sorry David but merely compliant (are they even compliant?) lighting is not enough to get noticed in a complex and brightly lit environment. I cycled for over 20 years in London, occasionally returning since and whilst noticeable in a shop or an office and perhaps "annoyingly bright" from directly behind, those lights don't spread their high intensity wide enough to be noticed out of the corner of a driver's eye when you are at the wrong angle. I've cycled and driven past many such and they are effectively invisible from inside a car (especially in the rain) unless you are directly behind them.

"Will motor vehicles always be able to generate more light than non-motorised? But they won't, they'll operate with the legal minimum finding the cheapest way to meet the rules. Power, using LEDs, is a marginal issue."
LEDs are good but not magic. More LEDs for wider spread of bright lights require more power. If it's such a marginal issue why do decent LED lights like Hope Vision warn only to use top quality batteries and that these will die suddenly? It's because they use power David and to get longer run-times or brighter lights you need more batteries. This is why they have dimmer options on high power cycle lights - but those on cars will be set to the maximum brightness that multiple (more) LEDs can give.
They won't need " the cheapest way to meet the rules" because unlike cyclists they won't have to buy batteries (disposable or high-quality rechargeable).

"You are wrong, the experience in other countries demonstrates that I am right, thats why it's being introduced Europe-wide. I can find no logic, sense or reason in your arguments. I am absolutely in favour of DRL. I'm not expecting to persuade you - only the positive results of their introduction will do that."
"No logic, sense or reason" really!:rolleyes::biggrin: Honestly I can find none of those in your denial that human attention is infinite.

Experience in other European countries is mixed. No study in Europe has shown DRLs to save lives, only to reduce collisions for those vehicles fitted. I'm sure you realise that the Scandinavian countries (where there is a positive effect from DRLs) have significant areas which are permanently dark in winter. They also have more large wild animals and most of the decrease in collisions is accounted for by collisions with animals. The side effects of this legislation have simply been ignored.

"OK, I'll put my comments in. I think you are wrong, and that DRLs will inprove road safety. So do those who've studied the issue for Europe (AFAIK it's not the EU it's the roads body which includes other states as well"
So we should put our trust in the Eurocrats: Uncle knows best because he has "studied the issue for Europe"! You do know the studies that 'proved' cycles were more noticeable, were done using photographs of roads? Of course Uncle is not influenced by any business considerations, nor can there be anything else than our safety in his collective mind.

David, you trust them therefore I am wrong, as is the CTC http://www.ctc.org.u...aspx?TabID=4681 and other organisations who have studied the evidence with less input from business concerns (e.g. http://www.dadrl.org...DRLstudies.html). I am certainly not going to dissuade you from your trust in the honourable and trustworthy nature of central government (in this case European) bureaucrats, but I hope you won't continue to trust those little 'safety lights'.

Norm

Seems coincidental that those who have experience are happy with them, and those who don't aren't.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't really care either way. There are times in the middle of the day where dipped lights are appropriate but the driver should really have enough intelligence to realise this.

I'm more concerned by modern car headlights being so bright that they ofter dazzle other road users.

Top Bottom