DRLs on cars - apparently it's all our fault!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad at urage

DRLs are coming to European cars, and it's all because those dozy peds and cyclists can't see a tonne of metal bearing down on us! :rolleyes:

[quote = 'The European commission']The commission said road users, including pedestrians and cyclists, detected vehicles using DRL more clearly and quickly than those equipped with dipped beam headlights.[/quote]

Of course! All those SMIDSY cyclists riding into cars are causing countless deaths and this will be solved by a lighting 'war' where cars have the advantage of carrying big generators around with them (and drivers meanwhile become more conditioned to "If it's not lit up then it isn't there" :angry:).

http://uk.news.yahoo...-t-5268574.html

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

Dan B

Disengaged member
If the comparison is with dipped beam then I'm not surprised DRL were found to be more useful - they're less dazzling and they don't suck your attention away from everything else on the road.

Here's a suggestion for an intervention that might be even better yet: Daytime Running Unlit. Turn the damn lights off when you don't need them to see or be seen by.

domd1979

Veteran
Arriva introduced a standing instruction in 2004 to their drivers that buses must have dipped headlamps switched on at all times. Accident rate for their buses dropped significantly following that.

As far as DRLs go... I'd rather see the prevalance of driving with fog lights on when its not foggy dealt with, since most fog lights are more dazzling than any dipped headlamp.

Norm

This is a good thing. Having lived with it, I think it is a benefit for all road users.

Including pedestrians and cyclists.

Davidc

Guru
Don't care if others on here don't agree. I'm 100% in favour of this.

I'm also in favour of compulsory daytime lighting on cycles when on the road.

No question of a 'war'. It's just about improving visibility and safety for everyone.

Just hope the rules allow for LED running lights as an alternative to dipped headlights - that way the carbon footprint is only marginally above zero

The greatest benefit has to be for pedestrians.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Never heard of so much b******s. If a driver can't see a cyclist, ped or whatever in daylight, then he should not be driving, period.

Why on earth would DRL's improve the situation?

Davidc

Guru
Why on earth would DRL's improve the situation?

By helping the vehicle show up against the background. Massive improvement. It's not about the driver, it's about the ped or cyclist.

Having experienced it I think it should have been introduced 70 years ago as soon as lighting, generators and batteries could support it..

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Fine if one or two vehicles light up. Then they will show up against the background. But if all drivers light up, then cyclists, lit or not, will merge into even more insignificance than they do now.

And will provide a greater "defence" for drivers to say SMIDSY.

Davidc

Guru
Fine if one or two vehicles light up. Then they will show up against the background. But if all drivers light up, then cyclists, lit or not, will merge into even more insignificance than they do now.

And will provide a greater "defence" for drivers to say SMIDSY.

Quite the opposite.

If all cars light up when running its a huge help to peds and cyclists.

If cyclists also light up then there can never be an excuse for SMIDSY ever again. (if there ever was in the past)

As I said above I'm 100% in favour of it, can't wait for it to come in. Said as a driver, cyclist and pedestrian. I see it as excellent news

Hope the penalties for ignoring the rule are massive.

Davidc

Guru
You obviously do not wear spectacles. Try riding in the rain when cars have their headlights on. Then translate this to a car driver peering through a rain shrouded screen. Drivers need no further excuses to not see us.

I don't agree with you at all, do have experience of it, and do wear spectacles.

I'm delighted if DRL comes in, and look forward to it and the improvement in road safety for all it will bring.

If DRL for cyclists came in not only would drivers see us better, it would take away all excuse for failure to see us, as I said, if there ever was one.

Top Bottom