England : Worcestershire Droitwich Sunday Sportive 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan77

Droitwich Cycling Sunday Sportive
Sunday 4th July, 2021

Very handy as I live just down the road. Great place to start/finish with really good facilities. Cafe, home made ice cream, beer, etc.

This is my target for next summer and something to aim for. I want to do the 104km route which I believe will be achievable as I have already gone as far as 82km on my hybrid and the endurance road bike is due to arrive end of November.

3 available distances with the 104km being the longest and they don't appear to be too difficult from the write up, although routes have yet to be released. We do have some nice quiet roads near us though, especially if heading south.

13 rider

Guru
It's good to have a target through winter to keep getting out riding . As for the distance you should be fine having already done 80km+
Good luck

C R

Guru
Droitwich Cycling Sunday Sportive
Sunday 4th July, 2021

Very handy as I live just down the road. Great place to start/finish with really good facilities. Cafe, home made ice cream, beer, etc.

This is my target for next summer and something to aim for. I want to do the 104km route which I believe will be achievable as I have already gone as far as 82km on my hybrid and the endurance road bike is due to arrive end of November.

3 available distances with the 104km being the longest and they don't appear to be too difficult from the write up, although routes have yet to be released. We do have some nice quiet roads near us though, especially if heading south.
That looks interesting. Hopefully covid will be a distant memory by then.

SteffieLou

Regular
I’ve been thinking about this one as it’s not a million miles away from me but I can’t find a map of the route anywhere. It’s the elevation I wanted to look at really. I’d be looking at short route but possibly the middle distance, I’m not up to the full 105km just yet.

OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

I’ve been thinking about this one as it’s not a million miles away from me but I can’t find a map of the route anywhere. It’s the elevation I wanted to look at really. I’d be looking at short route but possibly the middle distance, I’m not up to the full 105km just yet.

The route doesn't appear to have been announced yet but it does say it's reasonably flat with a couple of gentle hills.

There's lots of time before July to get the endurance up and see which distance you can take on. I only started riding in May after 20+ years of no exercise and have only been doing any significant mileage since July. I managed a ride on my hybrid of 82km in September and would have continued on to 100km if I didn't have time constraints. Depends how much training you are able to fit in among other things.

C R

Guru
The area around Droitwich is substantially flat, only some short inclines, but nothing spectacular. I wouldn't expect the route to be particularly taxing, as any of the local significant climbs are some distance away.

gavgav

Guru
I could be tempted by this one, if the Covid situation is better, having lived down Worcester way previously and a number of friends in the Worcester/Droitwich area.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

So the routes are released.

Rather more hilly than I was hoping for but I'll see how I get on over the next couple of months. I need to do some good rides between now and then to be sure I can make it. Did 68km with 675m elevation last Saturday but that's very different to the 104km route here.

This event is being run with the aim of raising funds for Help for Heroes (www.helpforheroes.org.uk).

Range of routes to choose from; see below.

All entries are online only. British Cycling are handling the this - cost £21.50 + £1 admin.
Under 16's are £6.50 + £1 admin but must be accompanied by a paying adult. https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/229068/Droitwich-Cycling-Sunday-Sportive
No entries available on the day.

The routes can be found using the following links:
48km / 30 miles
https://www.strava.com/routes/24312965

80km / 50 miles
https://www.strava.com/routes/22883278

104km / 65 miles
https://www.strava.com/routes/22889807

C R

Guru

Rather more hilly than I was hoping for but I'll see how I get on over the next couple of months. I need to do some good rides between now and then to be sure I can make it. Did 68km with 675m elevation last Saturday but that's very different to the 104km route here.
Looks interesting, not too bad for elevation, all quite gradual climbs. More tempting now that the route is out.

13 rider

Guru

I make the 100km route about 943m of elevation so roughly 9m up for every km forward which is slightly less than your 68km ride with is nearer 10m per km . Just take your time use the feed stops for breaks and enjoy .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dan77

Dan77

Did you ride it ? If so how did you get on

No. Didn't really think much of the route and I've been slacking with my riding ever since getting Covid in January. It really has had a longer term effect. Fitness is not too bad (by my standards) as I've still done some riding but need to get properly back into it and also lose the weight I have put back on.

Top Bottom