Drop bar mountain bike, some advice please. ;O)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
Nice conversion!

I notice you've adjusted the limit screws on the FD so that it doesn't drop into the little ring and was wondering why. Maybe your shifters are different, but I have the older generation Sora shifters on my bike (the thumb lever ones - 3400 I think) and they work for both doubles and triples. It has a third click, but I have to adjust it out as I have a double.

Is it because the Sora RD doesn't have the capacity for a triple? If not, why not put the old RD back on - all 9 speed shimano RDs should be compatible with each other whether from a road bike or MTB (cage length aside).

OP
OP
Alsajosora

Alsajosora

Über Member
Thank You!! ;O)

The Sora shifters I have (3500 series I believe) has two clicks and a trim function so I imagine getting it to work with a triple could be a PITA, also I have never used the inner ring. The main reason for screwing in the RD is that in the past I have had issues with short cage RD's and triple rings and as stated I never use the inner ring!!! Also, this is just the anal side of me coming out, I prefer to have complete groupos (Brakes and gears)..... I am already looking at Shimano Sora R317 callipers but don't tell the Mrs......;o)

Top Bottom