drop bars on a hybrid

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Biglad82, 19 Jul 2012.

1. Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

Would ya ?
    Have ya ?
    Why ?
    Why not ?

Just a passing thought. Just for a different ride position And no I Dont just need to buy a road bike. Mark

2. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Wouldn't a hybrid with drop bars be a road or cyclocross bike? Although it does depend on what you mean by a hybrid...presumably you'd need to change the brakes, gear shifts and all sorts. Cheaper just to buy a drop bar bike in the first place (I assume you don't have a bike as are asking about bikes)

Bar ends are the usual solution on a flat bar bike to add more hand positions

3. OP
    OP
    Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

4. Raging Squirrel

Raging Squirrel Well-Known Member

I've read in a mag and been told that fitting drop bars to a hybrid bike is a big no no, when I asked why I was told that having the brake levers of a drop bar is not a good idea with disc brakes, something to do with the sensitivity of pulling the lever compared to a straight bar set up. To explain it further I was told it'd be like braking with your left foot in a car

5. rollinstok

rollinstok Well-Known Member

I'd stick with normal bar ends. I wouldn't fancy having to reach for the brakes fast in an emergency if I was on those drop bar ends.. might just be me but I think they look dangerous... sorry my mistake I just had a look at other photos and saw you are supposed to add brakes to them... bit of an expensive way to go about things unless you needed new brakes/ shifters anyway.

6. It depends on the hybrid, if it a flat bar road bike its doable; I and a few others have done it with the sirrus. Braking is far from ideal though if you use sti levers, these don't pull enough cable for v brakes.

7. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

It's a lot of faffing about for little gain.

Get some L shaped bar ends and enjoy all the extra hand positions whilst remaining upright (better for the back).

8. OP
    OP
    Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

9. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

From a US company - hope you don't get stung by customs when they reach the UK....?

10. OP
    OP
    Biglad82

Biglad82 Active Member

Got them already, cost 9 notes from local bike shop, that was the first web page I came across with them on

vickster likes this.
  11. Piemaster

Piemaster Guru

My commuter - on-one pompino. alfine hub, midge bars, disc brakes, bar end shifter.
    More of a mongrel than a hybrid

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice