drop bars on a hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wouldn't a hybrid with drop bars be a road or cyclocross bike? Although it does depend on what you mean by a hybrid...presumably you'd need to change the brakes, gear shifts and all sorts. Cheaper just to buy a drop bar bike in the first place (I assume you don't have a bike as are asking about bikes)

Bar ends are the usual solution on a flat bar bike to add more hand positions

Raging Squirrel

I've read in a mag and been told that fitting drop bars to a hybrid bike is a big no no, when I asked why I was told that having the brake levers of a drop bar is not a good idea with disc brakes, something to do with the sensitivity of pulling the lever compared to a straight bar set up. To explain it further I was told it'd be like braking with your left foot in a car

rollinstok

I'd stick with normal bar ends. I wouldn't fancy having to reach for the brakes fast in an emergency if I was on those drop bar ends.. might just be me but I think they look dangerous... sorry my mistake I just had a look at other photos and saw you are supposed to add brakes to them... bit of an expensive way to go about things unless you needed new brakes/ shifters anyway.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's a lot of faffing about for little gain.

Get some L shaped bar ends and enjoy all the extra hand positions whilst remaining upright (better for the back).

vickster

Legendary Member
From a US company - hope you don't get stung by customs when they reach the UK....?

Top Bottom