Drop brake levers similar to Shimano brifter shape?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crazyjoe101

I have canti brakes and downtube shifters on my tourer/winter use bike and I'm having trouble finding comfortable brake levers to fit on it, with my road bike I have been comfortable with Shimano 9 speed 105 and 11 speed Ulterga levers but the brake-only options seem to tilt my hands forward past the bars rather than supporting them back towards me in a more natural position. I currently use these Cane Creek ones and although they are close I'm still not comfy long-distance, before I go ahead and just stick a set on the thing in desperation, does anyone know of some levers that give a similar feel to Shimano brifters? Cheers.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Have you got them in the right place on the bars for you? Sounds like they're too far down.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

Have you got them in the right place on the bars for you? Sounds like they're too far down.
They can't really go any further back because then the lever itself is at a funny angle and it still doesn't help the angle between the hood and the lever itself. I've also ruled the bar out as a cause, I've fitted the same compact style bar I've got on my road bike.
Just buy some 9 speed 105 levers - you don't need to use them for shifting
That's going to be my last resort.

OP
OP
crazyjoe101

crazyjoe101

You can get brifters to work with some cantis. My Dawes Horizon tourer had Sora gearing with Teatro cantis IIRC.
Brifters will work with cantis no problem, they use the same pull ratio as caliper brakes, I just don't want to fork out on a new set or wait to get hold of some used ones if I can avoid it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They can't really go any further back because then the lever itself is at a funny angle and it still doesn't help the angle between the hood and the lever itself. I've also ruled the bar out as a cause, I've fitted the same compact style bar I've got on my road bike.
Doesn't matter - some bar/lever combinations just never quite work right, sadly.

Top Bottom