Drop Handlebars on Carrera Subway 1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teakt

Regular
I am thinking on putting Drop Handlebars on my Carrera Subway 1 (hybrid) which has Disk Brakes. Could anyone tell me what Parts I would need how long it would possibly take and would it be feasible to do. As I am a total novice at this.

vickster

Legendary Member
@cyberknight might be able to help. The disc brakes might add complexity. Although I understand you can use SRAM shifters etc with disc brakes, not sure on Shimano

I'm not sure you'll find it economical versus selling it and buying a road or cx bike (especially second hand)

Does the Subway have MTB style front mech ?, the cable pull for indexing is different and incompatible with road shifters.
Drops also shift your cruising handhold position forward by 4-6", so you may need a shorter stem.
The alt is a set of butterfly style bars or a clip-on aerobar.

vickster

Legendary Member
4-6 inches or centimetres? I have converted the other way and added a 2cm longer stem, may need another centimetre or bar ends

@Teakt ankther posts suggests you just got the bike? Why didn't you get a drop bar bike in the first place out of interest and why the desire to change?

OP
OP
T

Teakt

Regular
I have had the bike for a year now and I am just thinking of changing the handlebars, it's not set stone! You could say reason I want to do it is (like climbing a mountain) just to see that I can do it.

lpretro1

The sti levers for drop bars will cost you way more than bike is worth and I think they are only currently available for 11spd bikes - you are best selling that bike and buying a purpose built one

Ajax Bay

Guru
Chainset:
SUNTOUR XCE - 48/38/28T - 175mm
Brakes:
TEKTRO NOVELA BLACK MECHANICAL DISC BRAKE - 160mm Rotor
Front Mech:
SHIMANO Tourney FD-M191
Gear Shifters:
Shimano Altus ST- EF Intergrated (sic) Brake and Trigger Shifters (8sp)
Rear Mech:
SHIMANO ALTUS RD-M280

@lpretro1 and @vickster are right (as ever) - will cost a lot which would, I assume, detract from the fun of seeing whether you can do it. Don't understand the point about 11 speed, though, or is that about levers/STIs which can drive the disk brakes. Wouldn't take that long once you have all the bits: the right bits! Much could be picked up second hand.
@alvechurch wheeler

Last edited:

jay clock

Massive member
The sti levers for drop bars will cost you way more than bike is worth and I think they are only currently available for 11spd bikes - you are best selling that bike and buying a purpose built one
Not sure about the 11 speed, but I think financially you will be better selling it and getting a cheap cyclo cross (CX) bike

lpretro1

The disk brake sti lever is not currently available in anything less than 11 spd - though I have heard rumours of a Tiagra 10spd one possibly. For road brakes the master cylinder is incorporated into the gear lever and not separate as in mtb/hybrid type

the snail

Guru
You won't be able to fit STI brifters because the brake levers don't pull enough cable (unless you swap the callipers for road bike type, or use travel agent adapters), but you could fit aero levers with MTB pull, and use bar end shifters.

jay clock

Massive member
All of this is like trying to change the engine in a 1.1 Ford to that of a 1.6L vauxhall. Theoretically possible, but easier to sell one and buy the other

OP
OP
T

Teakt

Regular
Thanks for all your kind thoughts and advice, I have decided not to go ahead with the project after all. It has been interesting reading your advice.

Top Bottom