drop in fitness level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Havent cycled for a week (i need some winter gloves etc hint hint ) but went out today and it was a real struggle
How long should you be able to have a break for before losing fitness ?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It varies on many many things. Such as how fit you were in the 1st place, how long you have been that fit, how you managed to get that fit etc etc.

If you are in tip top race shape, a few days will be enough to knock your top end, but if you are moderately fit, have been for some time etc, then you generally won't loose much in a week. Following the PMC concept with default values, you would loose 1/42 worth of your Chronic Training load which is indicative of fitness per day (it is a concept, a tool, something you use and adapt to yourself, not something to be taken too literately).

6 days off knocked about 20W off of my 10 mile time trial power and I did a poor time (by my standards), however a week off and I can and did simply get back on the bike and casually ride 100+ miles.

Havent cycled for a week (i need some winter gloves etc hint hint ) but went out today and it was a real struggle
How long should you be able to have a break for before losing fitness ?

Much depends on how much riding you do, what level you are at and what level of fitness you had before the time off. As Robert says, a trained rider might notice a drop. A less trained rider might not notice any difference at all.

OP
OP
s7ephanie

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
Well, i'm certainly not a tip top pro rider LOL but fairly fit, so was very surprised at how difficult this mornings' ride was, need to get out more but normal gloves just slip on the handles and its so cold and windy already :sad:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
loads of stuff can make a ride feel much harder. Wind, cold, elevation to name but 3.

Like 100 miles in your legs from the previous day, riding while still tanked from the night before and pushing for two on inclines? :smile: Yeah, that makes a ride feel much harder...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Six weeks off here. First full week back commuting. A couple of weeks take the edge off, but that comes back quick enough. Six weeks off with enforced rest make you pile on the KG's. I'd just like to thank a colleague for remarking 'you've put on weight' this morning - first words, not 'how are you'. 'Yes I know !' Fortunately it will be gone in a month.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Six weeks off here. First full week back commuting. A couple of weeks take the edge off, but that comes back quick enough. Six weeks off with enforced rest make you pile on the KG's. I'd just like to thank a colleague for remarking 'you've put on weight' this morning - first words, not 'how are you'. 'Yes I know !' Fortunately it will be gone in a month.

One of my colleagues told me once I was looking "fat" lol! Cheers mate!

I don't think he meant what he said really, he was Malaysian and I think language and culture confused matters, because while I had gained a bit, I was still thin for my height!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
:hugs:
It can only get better for you from now on!

compo

Veteran
Loss of fitness! Tell me about it. I am not too sure if it is my tyres, pre/post viral, or just old age! I had a puncture a few weeks ago which ruined my 700c x 28 tyre. Unable to really afford new ones at the time I refitted my old Bontrager 700c x 35's to take me through to the new year and improved financial status. The Bontagers were fairly well worn which is why I changed them in the first place. Next ride I struggled to make any progress. It was a struggle to get up to 10mph average. A couple of days later I came down with one hell of a cold and I am still a little chesty and coughy. I went out this morning for a few miles and my legs are like lead. It was just an effort to keep turning the pedals. I find it strange that the lack of go occurred so quickly, but at the same time as the tyre change and very soon before coming down with the cold. For now I will just get out and meander around as I feel like and see how it goes for a week or two!

Top Bottom