drop in fitness level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Been off the bike for six weeks now with a fractured and dislocated shoulder. for 2-3 months before I had found it really hard to get my HR up even up hills. Took the bike out Saturday & Sunday 2 miles and 4.5 miles and fitness felt ok down on before obviously but not as bad as I was expecting (was painful though hence low miles) 28-30% increase in peak HR and a 20% increase in avg. I reckon I might have been overdoing the cycling in the summer.

I have put on 7lbs and only one pair of jeans feel comfortable :sad:

MickyMickster

Am fifty and fat (but am trying to lose weight...honest).I have got an old mountain bike and average about 10 miles an hour but do upto about 30 mile at a time.Not been out for a couple of weeks and my (fitness) had considerably dropped.Only managed about 7 mile in an hour.I came home and felt dejected.Was really surprised how quickly I lost my relatively low level of fitness.

mattobrien

Guru
I have a feeling this time of year slows you down too. Comparing cold weather riding after a break from the bike, to riding when it was a little warmer may very likely yield a bit of a drop.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I find that theres no rhyme or reason to explain my good/bad days on the bike. Somedays I feel I could take on the TDF other days I feel 10 years older than I am and get no enjoyment from it.

Just keep going and enjoy the good days.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just keep riding, regular. Commuting by bike is fab. Doesn't half kick the weekend warriors botty's. It's hard, just keep doing it.

Commuting miles are weekend smiles. Sorry nabbed that off the winter miles quotes.

ayceejay

Guru
Fitness can be a neurosis so if it not you intention to win a race in the next couple of weeks - relax. It is unlikely that you will loose ALL your fitness in a week but it may be wise to start at a position a bit back from where you were and ease into it.

Top Bottom