Dropped kerbs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wonderful bleating on the BBC about people being fined for blocking dropped kerbs.

Simple - it is absolutely clear in the Highway Code - Don't do it and you won't get fined!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Stupid morons!

purplepolly

Are people stupid or just plain selfish? Dropped kerbs are for people in wheelchairs, with pushchairs or mobility problems, what are they supposed to do?

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

Rhythm Thief said:
Gis a link, then.:smile:

Would normally do so, but 'twas on BBC1 breakfast which doesn't have a link or any Iplayer replay!

What really amused me was the guy (I think from the AA) who was doing the usual complaining about "revenue raising" and how the Local Council would "sneak around at night" like they did to catch pavement parking - never occurred to the numpty that pedestrians use pavements in the dark!

Presumably he thinks people don't use wheelchairs or their drives in the dark either?

andygates

I parked in front of one by mistake once. Got a ticket *and* a row from the lady wot lived there. My reaction:

"Oh no, I have inadvertently done something bad, I shall take my lumps like a grownup."

The bleating is pathetic and juvenile.

jonesy

Guru
This is completely disingenuous of the AA. They know fully well what would be involved in correctly signposting every dropped kerb, and how expensive it would be, and they know fully well that expense isn't justified. What they really want is for drivers to be allowed to get away with obstructing them, but they daren't say it outright, so instead we get a load of crap like this.

purplepolly

Which is ridiculous - if drivers are allowed obstruct dropped kerbs, how will people in wheelchairs get around the cars parked on the pavement?

atbman

Veteran
For those of you who may not be aware of this.

AA is an acronym for whining, whingeing, moaning, complaining, mithering, snivelling self-pitying plonkers

domd1979

Veteran
Cunobelin said:
What really amused me was the guy (I think from the AA) who was doing the usual complaining about "revenue raising" and how the Local Council would "sneak around at night" like they did to catch pavement parking - never occurred to the numpty that pedestrians use pavements in the dark!

I bloody hate pavement parking, it is such moronic behaviour. Annoying thing is that the extent to which it can be enforced by traffic wardens is limited depending on the traffic regulation orders in place, and the rozzers who have wider powers aren't really interested.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
domd1979 said:
I bloody hate pavement parking, it is such moronic behaviour. Annoying thing is that the extent to which it can be enforced by traffic wardens is limited depending on the traffic regulation orders in place, and the rozzers who have wider powers aren't really interested.

I've had success with getting them to ticket cars locally. They won't bother for the wheels just on the pavement but otherwise have been known to first give a warning and then ticket subsequently.

byegad

Legendary Member
I had a problem with a neighbour who persistently trapped my car in the drive by parking across our gates. When asked to move the car so we could go out he would eventually, always a few minutes wait for him, move it and put it back as soon as we were out of the street.

I finally solved it the day we came in to find him in his usual place. I parked a couple of millimetres from his back bumper and then went in to the house for the keys to my wife's new car, parked around the back. With that millimetres from his front bumper I waited.

Sure enough later that day there was a knock at the door, he wanted to be out to go to work and couldnt move his car, didn't know who owned our second car so had to ask me to move mine. I told him I'd be right out and promptly did nothing, twenty minutes later he was back and again I told hom I'd be right out.

Ten more minutes later he was really losing it. THAT'S when I told him I'd added up all the times we had waited for him and he had another fifteen hours or so to wait before I'd move either car. He was so angry I thought he'd have a heart attack on the front step! So I offered him a compromise. I'd move one of our cars now so he could go to work AND he'd never park across my gates again. Funnily enough he took it and kept his side of te bargain for the rest of the time we owned that house.

Revenge is a dish best best served cold and all that! I still, thirty years later, smile at the sheer fury he felt that day.

Top Bottom