Dropped kerbs!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Rubbish.

The poor people around here go to the auctions on a Wednesday night and pick up a Rover 213 for £150. The council estates here are full of cars.

Now, are you going to answer my question?

Is that the 'pool cars' ?, mostly uninsured and being driven around by unlicensed drivers....

LLB

purplepolly said:
A very good point, in fact a lot of semis have provision for 3 or 4 cars (1 in garage, 2 on driveway, 1 on street), and have 3 or 4 cars - the poeple opposite me certainly do, while in the terraces on my side we are restricted by only having on-street parking and only have 1 car per house. Therefore the logical way to reduce car ownership would be to only build new houses without driveways so they only have the 1 on-street space and stop people turning front gardens into more driveway.

As for subsidised parking spaces, if residents were charged a going rate for the space, then everyone else who parks on any public road for any length of time would also have to be charged. On my street, peak parking time is not at night when the residents cars are parked, but during daytime when people are visiting the local hospital or the church. Surely they should pay if we do? And then there's the people stopping to visit the bank or the local shops. They'll all have to pay just to make things fair, although it'll kill off the local shops.

Brilliant idea until the reality kicks in.

We have a block of flats called St Georges Gate in Cheltenham which was built without any provision for any parking (on the site of the Calcutta pub near the Railway station). The reality is that the owners start parking on the pavements outside other peoples houses, as well as the side roads adjacent to it, as it is surrounded by streets of terraces.

I think it fairly irresponsible to build such a large and tall block of flats which dominates the skyline and robs the neighbours of any privacy on such a small plot.

That is two brilliant ideas on the same plot which are just a pile of shyte in practice.

dynohub

Rubbish.

The poor people around here go to the auctions on a Wednesday night and pick up a Rover 213 for £150. The council estates here are full of cars.

Now, are you going to answer my question?

Indeed! Also in many cities (I remember Bradford being cited as an example) the number of unregistered/uninsured/untaxed cars is so high there is no clear picture of what the level of car ownership is.

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

We had someone who decided to use the green near us as a car show room....

We used to phone him up and arrange to meet. Then when he got there, phone him back and suggest he would like to remove the cars whilst he was there. Between that and reporting the vehicles for tax, bald tyres etc he lasted about a week.

Cunobelin said:

We used to phone him up and arrange to meet. Then when he got there, phone him back and suggest he would like to remove the cars whilst he was there. Between that and reporting the vehicles for tax, bald tyres etc he lasted about a week.

:wacko:
I hasten to add that me and Ms RT aren't trying to go into business or anything. It's just that we've both bought new(er) cars recently (out of necessity, not trying to keep up with the neighbours or anything) and no one's bought the old ones yet.

LLB

Cunobelin said:

If they were parked on private land, what was the problem with it ? - You come across as a bit of a NIMBY Cunobelin :ohmy:

OP
OP
U

ufkacbln

LLB said:
If they were parked on private land, what was the problem with it ? - You come across as a bit of a NIMBY Cunobelin :wacko:

Nope - it is supposed to be a local sports field..... but then again why should we let kids play football when we can sell cars on it?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Cunobelin has quite an evil turn of mind when he wants!!! OTOH I think that was totally justified. I wouldn't want some pikey car salesman blocking up our local sports field with all his vehicles.

Top Bottom