Dropping Dead - What happens ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Christ almighty, sorry to hear that. A few years ago I unsuccessfully gave cpr to a 13 year old kid, and when it's someone you know like that you never really get over it.

Console yourself that your did your best, and you kept your cool and did what had to he done when others would have flapped. For the love of god go talk to someone about it, don't clam up like I did. If you're like me you'll intellectually know you did all you could but something in your heart will never quite truly believe that.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
i think you're missing the point by a country mile... he's not asking what happens now, he's asking what causes someone to just go so quickly. The OP is quite clear about that.

A bit harsh when someone is offering support

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
It wasn't necessarily an infarction. It could have been a stroke due to a blood clot in the brain or a haemorrhage. Also, hearts just sometimes stop due to weirdness, sudden cardiac arrhythmia.
https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/guide/sudden-cardiac-death#1
I'm no expert, just another useless Keyboard Kildare, but well done for doing your best to save the lady.

I was thinking annuerism or some rupture she was fine seconds before - but after about 3 rounds of CPR - She just went grey.

delb0y

Legendary Member
This happened yesterday, to a wonderful singer-songwriter.

(From The Independent)
Singer-songwriter David Olney has died during a performance on stage.

The Americana artist, whose music was recorded by Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Steve Young and others, died of an apparent heart attack while performing at the 30A Songwriters Festival in Santa Rosa Beach, Florida.

According to fellow singer-songwriter Scott Miller, who was performing with Olney, the 71-year-old stopped in the middle of a song, said “I’m sorry”, and “put his chin to his chest. He never dropped his guitar or fell [off] his stool,” Miller wrote on Facebook. “It was as easy and gentle as he was.”

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was thinking annuerism or some rupture she was fine seconds before - but after about 3 rounds of CPR - She just went grey.

Unfortunately that's the one you dont come back from.
Had similar, you can only do your best, both elderly so not really traumatic but does make you very aware of your mortality.

Much harder when the person is younger so as said be aware that this could make you feel very down.

johnnyb47

Guru
Sorry to read that. It must of been an horrific experience for you. Well done you though for keeping your cool and doing everything you could. When you read things like this, it makes you realise we should live every day like its our last.
I hope you're feeling ok after it all buddy

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Does anybody know the criteria for coroner to be involved ?

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm going to be quite cold and maybe heartless now. She's not bothered what happens now, she's dead.
But this will affect you, tonight and in the next few weeks. Seek any help you can in the form of support and counseling, don't try to brush off the event or 'tough it out'.
The people left behind are the ones that suffer and you are likely to have some pretty bad feelings if inadequacy and mortality in the weeks and months ahead. To be the one present at such a sudden and unexpected ending to a life will fill you with doubts that maybe you could have done more (you couldn't) or that it might be your turn next (highly unlikely).
Accept any support that you can :hugs:
This is so true. I gave a chap CPR at work after he suddenly collapsed, no one knew why, just very suddenly collapsed...and it turned out it was a brain bleed. He didnt respond, ambulance guys took over and eventually off to hospital. He never recovered and died a few days later.
I never slept a wink that night and maybe for a couple nights. I cant offer advise how to deal with it, but respect to you for trying, that's all you can do and be proud you did.

alicat

Legendary Member
Well done for having a go. In the case of a sudden death, I would be very surprised if the coroner didn't get involved.

Hope you get a good night's sleep and are proud that you did your best to save your colleague.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Does anybody know the criteria for coroner to be involved ?

Complicated, and I'm not sure many people - including me - fully grasp the Coroner's Rules.

Shipman also caused a shifting of the goal posts.

The coroner will certainly be informed.

In this case, I would expect him to hold an inquest, which will be open to the public.

You may be asked to make a statement, and possibly called to give evidence.

presta

Guru
It sounds more like sudden cardiac arrest which is a problem with the electrical function of the heart rather than the blood supply to it.
I agree with Colin, I think cardiac arrest fits the bill for sudden death, even then it's not as sudden as might be expected. I've had my heart stopped (deliberately) a few times, and it's a bit of a bemusing revelation to find that nothing much happens at all. ^_^

Top Bottom