Dropping Dead - What happens ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
^^^^^^^ This.

M.I.s are caused by blockages in the blood vessels of the heart ( or interruptions in blood flow to the heart muscle) cardiac arrests are caused by the hearts natural rhythm being disturbed ( there can be many reasons for this, including M.I.s ironically ). M.I.s are more difficult to deal with, because the heart muscle is dying as you’re trying to get the heart pumping again, with a cardiac arrest, it’s usually the heart going into a spasm, and as long as you get the rhythm back, there’s usually little or no damage to the muscle. If it’s a complete rupture of a major blood vessel, causing the issue, there’s usually not a lot anyone can do to help.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Does anybody know the criteria for coroner to be involved ?
My knowledge may well be a bit out of date, but no evidence of accident, no evidence of suspicious circumstances, and have consulted a doctor within the last month for the ailment that caused the death. That's pretty straightforward.

As it's a sudden death (stupid term, all death is sudden, alive one second, no longer the next...) I imagine the coroners officer will have been informed but once the PM results are in they'll likely lose all interest.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My knowledge may well be a bit out of date, but no evidence of accident, no evidence of suspicious circumstances, and have consulted a doctor within the last month for the ailment that caused the death. That's pretty straightforward.

As it's a sudden death (stupid term, all death is sudden, alive one second, no longer the next...) I imagine the coroners officer will have been informed but once the PM results are in they'll likely lose all interest.

The North Durham Coroner once explained the rules to me for how he decides when to call an inquest.

Death on the railway is certainly one, and most fatal road traffic collisions.

But I got the impression there is still a large element of judgment exercised by the coroner.

As you say, sudden death plays a part, by which they mean a death when there is no pre-existing medical condition.

tom73

Guru
Firstly don't worry about it looking after yourself is the most important thing at the moment.

Post Shipman things got a bit more tied up it's now for example very common now for GP's to phone the ward. Wanting to speak to the Nurse in charge of the care of someone even if expected or straight forward. when asked to counter sign a death certificate more rules on syringe drivers also got introduced.

@Drago is right from what you have said it not likely to go all the way to a formal inquest.
A PM maybe likely as it's sudden unless she had a underlaying condition and and had seen a doctor within 2 weeks up to her death.
Once results of PM are known if they show nothing to be of concern then the coroner will just "sign it off"

The only other situations that results in an automatic referral to the coroner and inquest even if due to natural causes are if they have been released from within the set time limit or held in prison, police custody, detained by a police officer at the time or detained under the Mental Health Act. Together with a few others.

Even you do get asked for a statement and they are happy with it from what you say your not likely to called to an inquest. The coroners officer will help you and support with all that anyway. Coroners court is not like a normal court yes it's formal and yes it's a court with same rules but your not on trial your a coroners witness. To help them understand what happen. In the end all they are wanting to know is the facts. What happen, when, what led up to it and can something be learned from it. On the whole MH Coroners are helpful and expect witness to be a bit worried they only really play hard ball if someone is trying to cover up, lying , talking utter rubbish or not treating them with respect.

Just focus on yourself and remember you did all you could.

Drago

Legendary Member
I had to give a statement when I tried to safe the girl. Having done a few in my time I chucked in a bit about everything appearing orderly in the house, no visible sign of a violent struggle.

gbb

Legendary Member
Re any follow up by coroners etc kingrollo, I didn't receive another word from any authorities, that may be because he died a few days later or perhaps because there was no coroners I investigation...or a bit of both. The individual circumstances may dictate how things proceed but it's not a given you'll be involved any further.
Hope you're feeling ok.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Re any follow up by coroners etc kingrollo, I didn't receive another word from any authorities, that may be because he died a few days later or perhaps because there was no coroners I investigation...or a bit of both. The individual circumstances may dictate how things proceed but it's not a given you'll be involved any further.
Hope you're feeling ok.

I feel pretty good tbh - everyone is saying how traumatised I must be...I don't - because I knew what to do and know I did my best.
I've signed for group counseling - and will probably go for individual sessions - I do suffer with depression - so just want to make sure I'm not bottling it up.

Many thanks for the info & support.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Something very similar happened in an office I was working in many years ago.

The incident was notable for a number of foul ups.

First problem was when the casualty collapsed, the staff found they couldn't dial 999 due to the way the telephone system operated.

Someone had to sprint through the building to the switchboard.

The ambulancemen duly arrived, but found they couldn't easily get the casualty through the open plan office on a stretcher.

No one had thought to arrange the desks in such a way as to allow access for a stretcher or trolley, so the poor man was manhandled from side to side to reach the ambulance.

Which is where the final problem occurred.

The ambulance had been directed to the nearest entrance, a staff doorway at the rear of the building.

It involved driving over a grassed area - we used to kick a ball around on the grass at lunchtime.

When the ambulance came to leave it had become stuck on the grass.

Thus more time was wasted while staff members shoved at the back of the ambulance as its wheels were spinning.

The man's family got to hear of what went on and there was talk of legal action against the company.

Not sure what happened in the end, but medical opinion seemed to be the man would have died no matter how fast help was summoned.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Something very similar happened in an office I was working in many years ago.

The incident was notable for a number of foul ups.

First problem was when the casualty collapsed, the staff found they couldn't dial 999 due to the way the telephone system operated.

Someone had to sprint through the building to the switchboard.

The ambulancemen duly arrived, but found they couldn't easily get the casualty through the open plan office on a stretcher.

No one had thought to arrange the desks in such a way as to allow access for a stretcher or trolley, so the poor man was manhandled from side to side to reach the ambulance.

Which is where the final problem occurred.

The ambulance had been directed to the nearest entrance, a staff doorway at the rear of the building.

It involved driving over a grassed area - we used to kick a ball around on the grass at lunchtime.

When the ambulance came to leave it had become stuck on the grass.

Thus more time was wasted while staff members shoved at the back of the ambulance as its wheels were spinning.

The man's family got to hear of what went on and there was talk of legal action against the company.

Not sure what happened in the end, but medical opinion seemed to be the man would have died no matter how fast help was summoned.

That's an easy answer though. When you collapse and are uncoius - there a very good chance you aren't coming back - what shifts the odds albeit slightly - is early CPR and Early defrib - if you defribing 20minutes late odds are very much against a recovery - I hadn't got access to a defriblator - I have raised this at work - and while they are sympathetic and have promised to get one - I've heard " do you think it would have saved her" I will never know.

That's an easy answer though. When you collapse and are uncoius - there a very good chance you aren't coming back - what shifts the odds albeit slightly - is early CPR and Early defrib - if you defribing 20minutes late odds are very much against a recovery - I hadn't got access to a defriblator - I have raised this at work - and while they are sympathetic and have promised to get one - I've heard " do you think it would have saved her" I will never know.
Quite right. If someone collapses with a heart problem, and requires resusc, the odds are already stacked against them. Any efforts are better than none, but don’t get too bent out of shape if the efforts don’t work.

stephec

Legendary Member
SCA isn't that uncommon, it happened to my lad when he was nineteen.

24/11/18 one minute he was sat next to me talking, and then all of a sudden he passed out like he'd fainted. After about thirty seconds of trying to wake him I rang for an ambulance, at 20:30 on a Saturday night, the operator kept on the phone and my wife started CPR until the ambulance arrived, and then they gave him two goes with the defibrillator to get him going again.

When you look into it it's surprising how many people it happens to each year.

Top Bottom