Drops on MTB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Just got a random and weird thought in my head.
With all the threads and talk on here about changing from flats to drops, and drops to flats, has anyone tried changing to drop on a MTB?

What sort of implications or advantages would it have?

endoman

You are just like another poster on a diving forum I use, great entertainment, time to go off and do Uni! You need to get aero on a MTB? Just get out and ride and stop overthinking things.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I thought about this a while back, sort of like an ultimate CX bike.

BUT brakes will be a problem. You cant us hydraulic unless you use an expensive converter block thingy.

You could use something like avid bb7s, but you would need to swap them for the road version, about £120-ish?

Would love to see it done.

just jim

You are just like another poster on a diving forum I use, great entertainment, time to go off and do Uni! You need to get aero on a MTB? Just get out and ride and stop overthinking things.
Tha'ts a bit harsh! the concept of drops on a mtb - the "rtb" has been around for ages, and it works. I used to see this nippy wee Rockhopper around Edinburgh with drops and slicks. It looked fast - maybe a courier's bike.

david1701

Someone makes dirt drops that look pretty cool for this?

OP
OP
Matthew_T

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Actually seen someone on a MTB with drops today!!

Another club member who was on todays ride. He also had a rack on the back with the left pannier on. He had massive 2.5 tires on the bike which were pumped right up to road PSI level.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
On drops, the default riding position is on the lever hoods. However, on the same bike with the same stem, these will be some 100mm further forwards than bar ends on flat bars, and even further forward than flat bar grips.
So, if you aren't to be overstretched you may well want a stem that's a fair bit shorter than your current stem.

Top Bottom