Drugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not a new idea. The problem is that you would turn any sporting event into a battle between drug companies. The next problem is that once you've 'levelled the playing field' (whatever that actually means) the athletes will find ways of raising it slightly in their favour. Why do you think they take drugs in the first place?

gavintc

Guru
And would drugs become an 'essential' extra to compete in 4th Cat races? It may resolve one problem at the top professional level but how far down the competitive ladder do you ecourage drug taking or ban it. Personally, I prefer the present option. I am sure that a good number of medals are drug enhanced, but equally I would like to think that the majority are not.

Losidan

Imagine going to your local bike shop...I'll take two inner tubes, some tyre levers and has that EPO I ordered come in yet?

col

Legendary Member
A long time ago bodybuilding competitions had two groups one who used drugs but kept it quiet,the other"NABBA" if i remember rightly was natural,so no drugs allowed,and the difference in physiques was noticeable,so maybe this could solve a problem,if a cyclist enters the no drugs race and is found to have used them,its a lifelong ban and a massive fine,but if they choose to use them,then enter the other?I know its not as simple as that,but could possibly be a start if there are a large number who still want to use drugs or ilegal techniques to get the fastest time possible?Give them the choice,but large or important races are no drugs anyway.So in the long term it would be unbeneficial for drug users to use them at all,as they couldnt enter the larger more important races?

bonj2

domtyler said:
Exactly, two people have cottoned on. We simply stop banning them. No more problem. If all the athletes are receiving the same performance enhancers then you level the playing field once more and get a true test of individual ability.

don't pretend it's your idea, i've been saying this for ages.

biking_fox

Guru
The problem with it is the health implications. If you allow most drugs but not "proven killer" because it's dangerous, some atheletes will still take "proven killer" to get that tiny little extra edge.

If you don't ban it, then all the athletes will be at significantly high risk - including all those just competing in local county events at 14 or so when they can hardly be in the position of judging what a 10% increased mortality rate practically means to them.

MessenJah

Rider
Losidan said:
Imagine going to your local bike shop...I'll take two inner tubes, some tyre levers and has that EPO I ordered come in yet?
That would be ace.

Rhythm Thief said:
:smile: I thought this was going to be another "Beer?" or "Tea?" type thread.:wacko:

In that case, I'll have a vial of belgian pot.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Those who favour legalising drug use should look at what happened in China and East Germany, where children were put on doping programmes as soon as they were spotted as having any potential at a particular sport. Many never saw their 40th birthdays and most of those who did suffered severe health problems because of it.

Tetedelacourse

As has been pointed out, 2 problems are that people react differently to the currently available PEDs, and there are short to long term consequences for the athlete's general health.

A third and more basic problem is what it does to the spirit of sportsmanship. Do we, as a society, want to promote winning at all costs over honest and fair competition? Seems like a backward step to me. We may not have honest and fair competition at the minute but that's what we strive for, and should continue to strive for, not "let's see who can go fastest regardless of how they do it".

Harumph.

BIGSESAL

There seems to be no way of banning drugs. Who knows Bolt could be taking something that is not yet detectable by the IAAF and by the time we can detect it he will be retiered and we will have no way to prove he was not clean.

I want to add that I hope that Bolt has not taken drugs and that he is just a great human capable of great things. Peronally I would rather be a looser that an olympic champion who is disgraced.

Keith Oates

Janner
An interesting article from Time magazine on the subject:

Quote:

The Olympic Games are supposed to be a testament to human willpower and achievement. But they're also about competing for gold, and doing whatever it takes to come in first. At every Games in recent memory — and surely Beijing is no different — athletes have used illegal performance-enhancing drugs to win. Many have been caught; probably many more have not. Authorities say they have more than 4,500 anti-doping tests in place at the Beijing Games. So, with such a high possibility of their drug use being uncovered, cheating athletes would have to be certain it's worth it. TIME asked world-renowned anti-doping expert Werner Franke, a professor at the German Cancer Research Center, how well doping really works and what the chances are of getting caught.
Q:Can clean athletes ever compete against doped ones?
A: It varies from discipline to discipline, but in many disciplines they have no chance.
There is no question about this scientifically. We have a wealth of data concerning, for example, androgenic anabolic steroids. I was the one who discovered the top secret papers in East Germany that show how researchers during the Cold War had evaluated steroid use point-by-point, dose-by-dose, examining how much had to be given at which intervals to be most effective. There exists similar evidence in the West. For example, there's the Canadian inquiry, published by Judge Charles Dubin in 1990, which uncovered details of steroid use after Olympic sprinter Ben Johnson tested positive for steroids and was stripped of the gold medal he won in 1988.
We also have evidence from the actual performances themselves. Since some anti-doping controls have been introduced, the caliber of top performances in the world has already been reduced dramatically. For example, the world record in the women's 400 m, which was set in 1985 by Marita Koch, is 47.6 sec. These days, Olympic finalists would be happy to get below 50 sec. That's a 30-meter difference! [Editor's note: Koch has never publicly admitted to cheating.]
And this is still going on, as you can see from the doping controls. The controls are still inadequate, scientifically speaking, though they do find some positives. It's just that there is a wealth of bizarre, dirty, and painful tricks to cheat — and also to cheat the controllers.
The most famous trick at Athens was by a couple of medal winners, who had plastic bags filled other people's clean urine inserted into the rectum, and a plastic tube that was fixed and hung beneath the penis. So when the athletes gave urine tests, the urine did not come from the body, but instead from this plastic outlet. People did this for years and years — and still do. It was known about. Women would insert bags into their vaginas. Then in Athens, when some athletes were asked for a bit more urine to analyze in future years, the system became obvious. Their medals were taken away.
We know already from the last couple years that the spiral of doping has gone up again. We are now dealing with drugs that are not detected at all because no good test has been developed for them. That includes growth factors. The most frequently used is at present IGF-1, insulin-like growth factor 1, which is not detected in urine or even blood tests. There are also some variants of human erythropoietin (EPO) and growth factor that cannot be easily identified. And there are now very short-lived androgenic steroids. Short-lived means that, after a day and a half, they are no longer detectable in the urine. And there are lyophilized proteolytic enzymes, which can be added to the urine during a test as tiny amounts of powder so that growths factors, EPO and insulin are degraded and no longer detectable.
So controls are easily undercut. I don't take all this business about the 4,500 controls in place in Beijing seriously. It's silly. They'll catch only very stupid athletes. Most are guided by experts in sports medicine.

Unquote

Is he correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom