Drum brake levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

I think it will depend on your drum brake. Arai drum brakes, as found on tandems and used as a drag brake, used to operate off normal road levers. Or my one did. Mrs. Hall's bikle has Nexus roller brakes which (fx:furious googling) according to Sheldon:
The Rollerbrake works with most common brake levers, other than levers intended for use with direct-pull brakes. The lever must be able to pull at least 14.5 mm of cable.
(Direct pull is what V brakes are)

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Thanks for that. I have a Batavus with Sachs drum brakes. They're correctly adjusted but the brake levers stop a lot nearer the handlebars than half-way. They work OK but it feels odd.

I've got an old pair of linear-pull MTB levers that I'll put on to see if it makes any difference.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
my old shimano roller brakes worked fine with V brake levers. When I say worked fine that's a relative term because they were pants regardless of the levers used.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
my old shimano roller brakes worked fine with V brake levers. When I say worked fine that's a relative term because they were pants regardless of the levers used.
I was under the impression that drum brakes were the best (or may be that's just in wet weather)? if they're a bit 'pants' anyway then changing my levers won't improve feel or performance anyway.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Roller brakes from Shimano have this weird power modulator thing on/in the front brake. Like Mr Shimano will decide how hard you brake rather than you. Their consistent wet or dry though, I'll give them that.

Top Bottom