Drumlanrig Challenge Entry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doonhaemer

Entry is open for the Tearfund Drumlanrig Challenge. Saturday April 29th enter HERE at sientries.co.uk
Revised routes this year and a short 27 mile option added. The usual cake fest will now be at the end for everyone. Entry fee is a small registration fee plus a donation which ALL goes to Tearfund

There is so little traffic on the Drumlanrig route it's not worth closing the roads. If you want to pay £65 to a commercial organiser for closed roads, you can enter the tour of aryshire the next day and make a weekend of it.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Actual event website at http://www.drumlanrigchallenge.btck.co.uk/ contains some restrictive regulations, including full obedience of the highway code (presumably even the mad bits like Rule 77 giving a choice between walking round the edge or riding in the left lane when turning right at roundabouts) and then some. I suggest people may like to read them before going to the entry link above because the donation required to entry is non-refundable.

Hardrock93

Guru
Actual event website at http://www.drumlanrigchallenge.btck.co.uk/ contains some restrictive regulations, including full obedience of the highway code (presumably even the mad bits like Rule 77 giving a choice between walking round the edge or riding in the left lane when turning right at roundabouts) and then some. I suggest people may like to read them before going to the entry link above because the donation required to entry is non-refundable.

Perhaps Rule 77 could have been phrased more clearly.

Rule 77
You may feel safer walking your cycle round on the pavement or verge. If you decide to ride round keeping to the left-hand lane you should
  • be aware that drivers may not easily see you
  • take extra care when cycling across exits. You may need to signal right to show you are not leaving the roundabout
  • watch out for vehicles crossing your path to leave or join the roundabout.
I don't believe this implies a prohibition to cyclists from negotiating a right turn at a roundabout in the same manner as any other vehicle.

OP
OP
doonhaemer

doonhaemer

Don't worry, there are no roundabouts on these routes.
I would rather have free choice on helmets but have to go with the insurers rules.
The regulations are fairly standard for all sportives, so i guess mjr and brandane only look on the sportive forum to find an excuse to criticise.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The regulations are fairly standard for all sportives, so i guess mjr and brandane only look on the sportive forum to find an excuse to criticise look for the few sportives not under British Cycling regulations which still allow normal riders.
Fixed that for you.

Those regulations about obeying the highway cod (which presumably isn't actually enforced? There's plenty of riders wearing black in the photos) and maybe the non-refundable "donation" are a bit unusual, plus it wasn't obvious from the linked entry form. Maybe only old cynics like me and brandane who have suffered aggro at event starts go looking closely.

Top Bottom