Dry bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
bin bags? Plastic bags might be ok inside the pannier, but not on the rear rack. And they would have rips in them within 10 mins of use, thus making them non waterproof. Having spent (at a guess) close to £1k on bike and kit I would spend the extra £20 to get quality stuff to your liking

smeg

It's unnecessary extra weight I was thinking more than the cost. Obviously if you're bungee'ing your tent on wrapped in it you'd make sure the plastic bag was thick enough, it'll still be lighter than a dry bag.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
It's unnecessary extra weight I was thinking more than the cost. Obviously if you're bungee'ing your tent on wrapped in it you'd make sure the plastic bag was thick enough, it'll still be lighter than a dry bag.

And if you have your luggage out getting ready for the off on the same day the bin men collect you could be missing your tent and sleeping bag or what ever else is in bin bags .............;) .

It's proper dry bags for me.

willem

Über Member
Real dry bags are a very reassuring thought if you have your down sleeping bag inside. For a tent it is a different story.
Willem

Good grief mildew doesn't form that quickly! Are you using a cheap tent with a poly cotton inner or something? I've often had to pack my tent wet and have never had any problems with mildew. How can mildew form between packing your tent wet in the morning and pitching it again later in the day/evening? :wacko:

In fact I said it "would induce mildew spores to form", which ok may not at that time show or be smelt, however somewhen during your trip or after it you might say to yourself i will un pack it later... sometime later, become a few days or even months you then find the Mildew has formed badly. from my many years as a backpacker, cyclepacker, Mountaineer and general tosser, I have smelt the start of Mildew forming after 6 hours given the right conditions, in the main because the tent has been used day after day and packed wet each day. , If it is of interest I buy and use the best and and modern equipment for the Job in hand, which does not include cheap tent's with a poly cotton inner or something?...LOL

As I use the same equipment for cyclepacking as I use for backpacking, I work on the same policy of eveything goes inside of the Rucsac or Panniers, I see no need to have masses of kit on top of the rack likewise when I see people backpacking with lots of dingle dangles hanging on the outside of the rusac, drives me mad, and often makes me offer unwanted advice.

But I am also wise enough to understand that some tents do not pack down to a suitable size to be able to get them into the panniers, moreover, over the years I have gained some nice equipment where stuff which has been strapped on the outside has worked loose, and dropped onto the road or trail, without the rider/walker knowing it, recently alongside the NCN20 where it goes through Tilgate forest here in Sussex i found two tents within 1/2mile of each other, which as being eurohike tents I guess they belonged to someone who was fairly new to the game, so being a nice chap I stacked them alongside of the trail so if they come back looking for them they would be easier for them to find, or someone else to nick.

As I use the same equipment for cyclepacking as I use for backpacking, I work on the same policy of eveything goes inside of the Rucsac or Panniers, I see no need to have masses of kit on top of the rack likewise when I see people backpacking with lots of dingle dangles hanging on the outside of the rusac, drives me mad, and often makes me offer unwanted advice.

But I am also wise enough to understand that some tents do not pack down to a suitable size to be able to get them into the panniers, moreover, over the years I have gained some nice equipment where stuff which has been strapped on the outside has worked loose, and dropped onto the road or trail, without the rider/walker knowing it, recently alongside the NCN20 where it goes through Tilgate forest here in Sussex i found two tents within 1/2mile of each other, which as being eurohike tents I guess they belonged to someone who was fairly new to the game, so being a nice chap I stacked them alongside of the trail so if they come back looking for them they would be easier for them to find, or someone else to nick.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
bin bags? Plastic bags might be ok inside the pannier, but not on the rear rack. And they would have rips in them within 10 mins of use, thus making them non waterproof. Having spent (at a guess) close to £1k on bike and kit I would spend the extra £20 to get quality stuff to your liking

I just use Rubble bags myself for the tent and anything else i want to keep dry they seem to be more resilient.

Sparkyman

smeg

First thing I do when I get home is unpack my tent and sleeping bag to air them. I go backpacking in the Highlands in October when things tend to get a bit damp. I've been in the middle of nowhere where it has rained every day for 2 weeks. Mildew sniffing, is that some sort of fetish? :biggrin: Suit you Sir. I reckon you like a bit of mildew I've never had any. You're using a pop-up festival tent really you just wont admit it :laugh:

In fact I said it "would induce mildew spores to form", which ok may not at that time show or be smelt, however somewhen during your trip or after it you might say to yourself i will un pack it later... sometime later, become a few days or even months you then find the Mildew has formed badly. from my many years as a backpacker, cyclepacker, Mountaineer and general tosser, I have smelt the start of Mildew forming after 6 hours given the right conditions, in the main because the tent has been used day after day and packed wet each day. , If it is of interest I buy and use the best and and modern equipment for the Job in hand, which does not include cheap tent's with a poly cotton inner or something?...LOL

shirokazan

Veteran
As someone alreay said, do not put your tent in a dry bag.

I put my tent in a dry bag (which is then strapped to the rack) but I do try and dry it as much as possible before packing it, using a dishcloth specially devoted to the purpose. I pack the inner and outer separately in polythene bags so that the dry inner tent is not made wet by the outer, and then put both into the dry bag (along with poles and pegs). I'm aware that packing tents wet isn't good but either the tent is pitched that evening or, if I'm arriving home, I will hang it out to complete drying.

I'm curious to know how willem and ticktockmy transport their tents? I'm always looking to plagiarise other people's bright ideas
rolleyes.gif

battered

Guru
I have an Aldi roll top dry bag, it's OK. Thinner than the Ortlieb, and the fastening is a bit crude, but OK. It seldom leaves the house though. I favour plastic bags for keeping stuff dry IN my rucsac/panniers, as they are cheap and you know where they are at the appropriate packing moment.

I don't sweat the tent getting wet, it's a tent. It gets aired when it is pitched or arrives home.

There's nothing wrong with a pop up tent, I used one last weekend and it was great. I bet I spend more nights in it than *proper* tents. Horses for courses. If you arrive in the car at 11pm and you can have a superduper tent in 20 minutes or the pop up *now*, have a guess. I'm in bed before most of my pals have got their sleeping bags unrolled.:thumbsup:

smeg

Arrive in "a car" what's that? :huh: I'd like to see you to pitch your pop-up tent in a 50mph+ wind up a mountain in Scottish sideways rain in October next to mine it would be a larf :biggrin: It takes me about 2 minutes to pitch my *proper* tent not 20. More time spent laughing at yours leaning sideways than pitching mine :laugh: You'll have to lean with it like cornering at speed on a bike whilst holding the fibreglass poles before they snap.

doog

I have an Aldi roll top dry bag, it's OK. Thinner than the Ortlieb, and the fastening is a bit crude, but OK. It seldom leaves the house though. I favour plastic bags for keeping stuff dry IN my rucsac/panniers, as they are cheap and you know where they are at the appropriate packing moment.

I don't sweat the tent getting wet, it's a tent. It gets aired when it is pitched or arrives home.

There's nothing wrong with a pop up tent, I used one last weekend and it was great. I bet I spend more nights in it than *proper* tents. Horses for courses. If you arrive in the car at 11pm and you can have a superduper tent in 20 minutes or the pop up *now*, have a guess. I'm in bed before most of my pals have got their sleeping bags unrolled.:thumbsup:

anyone managed to get a 'pop up' tent onto the bike ?
biggrin.gif

battered

Guru
Like I said gents, horses for courses. Read the post.;)

If you are daft enough to be pitching a tent in 50 mph winds, be my guest. I'll be in the pub.:thumbsup: Alternatively I might be camped outside the CIC hut with a mate and a pile of winter mountaineering gear, but if I am I'll be in his Hilleberg.

As for taking a popup tent on a bike, no. Do I look daft? (Don't answer!) I've got other tents for that. I have actually used it in a storm, it did remarkably well. The only snag was it kept bending over and bashing me in the face, so as it was nearly breakfast time I got up and put a brew on. The rest of the campsite had packed up and gone.:becool:

You can get your conventional tent up in 2 minutes? 'Course you can.:laugh:

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Well today I bought x3 Exped light weight dry bags today

x2 13 litres
x1 8 litres

Tent, mat and sleeping bag fit nicely into their respective dry bags. The tent and sleeping bag or
tent and mat sit neatly on top of the rack. Lots of space in the panniers to fill now ;).

Well the Trangia stove, pots and pans take up a fair bit of space in one pannier. It really is quite ...... large.
Maybe I stick with the Primus Express Spider and MSR Whisperlite if I go further afield as they are a lot
more compact.

Top Bottom