Dry bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
The next items I must purchase are some Ortlieb dry bags for my tent, sleeping bag and Thermarest as I would like these on top of my rack. Combined weight is 3.4kg.

I am after the really rugged ones that have the thicker fabric PS 490.

Does any one have one of these bags and from where did you get them?

I have done a search on the internet and looked in the Adventure shops in Cambridge and all I can find are the PD350 medium weight fabric dry bags which is a step up from the quite thin Exped bags. I have at least determined what size I need XS 13 litres and S 22 litres. Wiggle don't do them and John Street/Thorn Cycles only do the larger 35 litre medium weight PD 350 dry bags.

Anthony

The next items I must purchase are some Ortlieb dry bags for my tent, sleeping bag and Thermarest as I would like these on top of my rack. Combined weight is 3.4kg.

I have done a search on the internet and looked in the Adventure shops in Cambridge and all I can find are the PD350 medium weight fabric dry bags which is a step up from the quite thin Exped bags. I have at least determined what size I need XS 13 litres and S 22 litres. Wiggle don't do them and John Street/Thorn Cycles only do the larger 35 litre medium weight PD 350 dry bags.

Have you tried Cotswold Outdoor? I got my Ortlieb dry bag form there. But I'm not sure what fabric thickness it was.

andym

Über Member
I've been very happy with my Alpkit dry bag.

Alternatively, the Ortlieb distributor, Lyon equipment, should be able to tell you where you might be able to get one.

I would not worry about a dry bag for the tent, if you put a wet tent in a dry bag, on top of your rack and the sun shines, you will just induce mildew, like wise the thermarest. Sleeping bag yes , but try to air the bag before you put it into the dry bag, as the body damp if left will also induce Mildew spores to form, if you cannot air it in the morning before travlling the as soon as in camp in the evening throw it over the tent to air, so it all nice and fluffy and cuddly.

Winter times, as soon as I am out of my maggot I roll up very tight, and straight into it's compression bag, so the body heat still traped will drive off the body damp, and any condensation which might have formed, and it gives it that nice used smell.LOL

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
I would not worry about a dry bag for the tent, if you put a wet tent in a dry bag, on top of your rack and the sun shines, you will just induce mildew, like wise the thermarest. Sleeping bag yes , but try to air the bag before you put it into the dry bag, as the body damp if left will also induce Mildew spores to form, if you cannot air it in the morning before travlling the as soon as in camp in the evening throw it over the tent to air, so it all nice and fluffy and cuddly.

Winter times, as soon as I am out of my maggot I roll up very tight, and straight into it's compression bag, so the body heat still traped will drive off the body damp, and any condensation which might have formed, and it gives it that nice used smell.LOL

I considered this.

I have a plan.

battered

Guru
Outside (Hathersage) sold me an Ortlieb rolltop dry bag a while ago. I don't use it a lot though. The EXped stuff is OK as a bag liner, don't think it would last long on the outside of a rack.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Outside (Hathersage) sold me an Ortlieb rolltop dry bag a while ago. I don't use it a lot though. The EXped stuff is OK as a bag liner, don't think it would last long on the outside of a rack.

Just what I thought when I was looking at them which was confirmed by the chap in the shop. He advised the Ortlieb dry sacks, although I want the heavier grade fabric and red/black to match my panniers, not the all black versions which are a thinner material.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Have you tried Cotswold Outdoor? I got my Ortlieb dry bag form there. But I'm not sure what fabric thickness it was.

Thanks Anthony. I have, they only do the medium weight sacks which are all black. Plus CotswoldOutDoors are quite expensive.

HelenD123

Legendary Member
I'm using an Alpkit Gourdoun drybag/rucksack and it seems to be holding up find. Much lighter and multifunctional.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Try a search on E-bay traders. I bought a couple of heavyweight Ortlieb jobbies a couple of years back. Can't remember who from though.

willem

Über Member
As someone alreay said, do not put your tent in a dry bag. It does not need it, and it is actually not very good for the tent, and even less so for the rest of the stuff in the bag. You may find an Ortlieb Rackpack more convenient. And finally one from the weight police: if you have more than a tent on top of your rack, you are probably taking too much....
Willem

Top Bottom