Dry food recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello All,

I'm going out into the Breacon beacons this weekend and thought I better take some extra food just in case we get snowed in, Can anyone recommend any foods that just need water adding, apart from pot noodle and commercial camping foods.

Thanks all

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Not everyone likes it, but I love Smash!

willem

Über Member
I always have some emergency food in the form of Italian dried pasta, plus pesto and grated parmezan cheese. You could replace the pesto with some bacon and dried mushrooms, plus some dried herbs. All this weighs next to nothing and does not go off for ages. Yet it actually tastes quite well. Take macaroni instead of fancier shapes because macaroni packs more compact, and the boiling time is shorter than for most other shapes.
Willem

Our emergency rations usually consisted of either pasta or rice (depends on how much space we had available), some dried soya mince tyre stuff (we are both veggie) and some tortilla wraps which have really good shelf life and can be used for any meal of the day. Porridge oats are also quite useful to carry, however don't try polo's for sweetnes in either mint tea or coffee - it does not work well!

Minced tyres? aren't they a bit rubbery? ^_^
apologies - typo if a little funny, not intened... should have been "type" and yes I know the p and the r are not really near each other on the keyboard, I just plead insantiy from polo sweetened coffee from running out of sugar - bad memory as evening meal was being served.xx( (could just have done with that smilie from the foodieschat that drags its tongue along the floor)

Alberto

I find cous cous and risottos a good compromise of price/weight, while still being tasty.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Yep. Batchelor's Pasta'n'Sauce. (Or supermarket own brand equivalents thereof*). Cheap, available in many large supermarkets, weighs almost nothing, keeps forever, just boil up with water. Says 'serves 2', but if you've been riding all day, it serves 1!

*Not in South Africa, though, where the standard issue supermarket version was so awful, even the campsite owners' dogs wouldn't eat it.

OP
OP
BADGER.BRAD
Thanks for the ideas everyone much appreciated,I'm going to go with oat meal and either pasta in sauce or cous cous dependant on what my local super market has.Hopefully though I will not need it and the snow will hold off.
Thanks again all

Sara_H

Guru
I have the same suggestions as others, dehydrated rice, pasta, could could. We found dehydrated rice pudding which we took last last time and it was quite nice.
A lot of the dehydrated desserts require milk, we carry dried milk anyway.

P.H

Über Member
I have the same suggestions as others, dehydrated rice, pasta, could could. We found dehydrated rice pudding which we took last last time and it was quite nice.
A lot of the dehydrated desserts require milk, we carry dried milk anyway.
That reminds me, we found a delicious instant cinnamon semolina a couple of years ago, just add water. Can't remember where it came from and haven't seen it since, when I do I'll stock up, it's probably got a long shelf life.

Top Bottom