Dry food recommendations please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find that peeps get the wrong idea about carrying extra food into the hills or Mountains either as "extras" or "emergencies" because they in the main think of dry dehydrated foods. Ok Dried food makes for lighter weight, but we needs water to rehydrate them, that means we need to carry water, water has weight, so we have not gained anything weight wise also we need to drink water at regular intervals, thus it quite likely we will without some self control find ourselves without sufficient water to rehydrate the dried foods.

But I hear you say we can get water by melting snow or we can get it from the stream. Well to melt snow requires a lot of energy and a surprisingly large amount of snow of it to get sufficient water to be useful. Often the normal gas and white fuel stoves will struggle melt the snow quick enough. and you really need the more powerful white spirit stoves designed for it.
Ok let take water from the stream, here we have all sort of problems, before dipping into the stream we need to check that there are no carcases laying upstream, we need to check the level of minerals in the water, more so in streams running through peaty ground, where there are high levels of Minerals which may not be harmful in small amounts but depending on your level of resistance depends if you end up with the squigges then there is the problem of Leptospirosis (also known as Weil's syndrome), which is a killer.

My solutions is that, for non emergency situations I will use dry foods if on a extended trip in the mountains and will have access to fresh water, other than that I scour the super markets shelves looking for foods that are tasty, easy to cook does not require me to add water and that they take up very little room and can be stuffed into the odd corners of the pack or Panniers. and on average each pouch has about 400 kJ of energy and can be eaten hot or cold.
Here end'th my lesson...LOL

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Hello All,

I'm going out into the Breacon beacons this weekend and thought I better take some extra food just in case we get snowed in, Can anyone recommend any foods that just need water adding, apart from pot noodle and commercial camping foods.

Thanks all
I would recommend don't get snowed in.^_^

Top Bottom