Dual Piviot Caliper Prob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Folks I am upgrading an old ladies Puegeot Rapide. Both brake calipers are dual piviot and both are sticking on the non drive side rim. You can pull them closed with the levers but the non drive side pads do not release. You have to do it manually.Has the spring in the pivots passed it's sell by date or is there a method to upping the tension within the caliper springs. Would I just be safer buying new ones. Any help appreciated.:idea:

screenman

Legendary Member
Are the blocks sticking under a lip in the ring? have you taken the caliper to bits and cleaned and lubed it.

They are flush with the rim surfaces when tension is applied. I took one of them apart and cleaned it as best as I could but it made no difference. If I was being honest I think it was worse. Didn't use any lube though. Had concerns about lube on the brakes. Maybe that is part of the problem screenman.

screenman

Legendary Member
They are flush with the rim surfaces when tension is applied. I took one of them apart and cleaned it as best as I could but it made no difference. If I was being honest I think it was worse. Didn't use any lube though. Had concerns about lube on the brakes. Maybe that is part of the problem screenman.

If you do a bit of googleing you should come up with some info, maybe even a you tube. Must admit it is years since I had any problems with mine, but they do get a squirt of oil on a regular basis.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Make sure you get the right drop if buying new calipers and that they are the right fitting type (recessed or external mounting) - otherwise it sounds like the pivots have seized with muck and need taking apart and cleaning (quite a lot of work TBH).

S.Giles

Are the blocks sticking under a lip in the ring?

My bike recently had one of its brake pads failing to release, and it was indeed caused by the pad grabbing on to the rim, due to the rubber wearing into a stepped shape. I solved the problem by sandpapering both pads until they were flat again. No problems since.

Top Bottom