Dumb Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chislenko

Veteran
Looking at getting a dumb trainer but must admit I am clueless on how people get their info from said trainer to Garmin / Strava etc.

Is it merely a matter of putting a speed sensor on the rear wheel and Bluetooth linking to your Garmin. I don't have a Garmin Bike Computer but have a Garmin watch, would that do the trick?

Or alternatively I have a Bryton Bike Computer so perhaps they make a compatible speed sensor.

Thanks in advance for any info.

NB. I have no interest in Smart Trainers or subscription type services, just want a basic setup as I do most of my riding outdoors, it is just for those few occasions when I can't get out.

CXRAndy

Guru
You could get a simple smart turbo, which would send all the speed information to your watch with either Ant+/Bluetooth. The cheaper end aren't that expensive

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/tu...uid2-turbo-trainer-with-smart-kit-296822.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
It’s a dumb trainer, hence no data to Garmin Connect etc. you could wear your watch to get HR and load that to GC.

Ok, good to get an expert view and that is why I was confused as if you read the internet they say you can fit a speed sensor to your rear wheel on the trainer and it will send the info, speed / distance, to your device.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Ok, good to get an expert view and that is why I was confused as if you read the internet they say you can fit a speed sensor to your rear wheel on the trainer and it will send the info, speed / distance, to your device.

It would need to be a bike GPS like the Garmin Edge series. But if buying a speed sensor and Garmin GPS you will end up paying more than you would for a smart trainer, and end up recording less data from your workout.

Alex321

Veteran
A watch not an Edge (bike GPS) if you fully read his opening post.
Oops.

Yes, but this adds to my confusion as Garmin say it can connect to a watch. Really just looking for real world experience of anyone who has successfully done this.

Unless the watch has ANT+ capability, it is unlikely. It may connect with Blutooth, but may not. Do you measure your speed on the bike outdoors?

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Oops.

Unless the watch has ANT+ capability, it is unlikely. It may connect with Blutooth, but may not. Do you measure your speed on the bike outdoors?

Yes, either the watch or the Bryton computer do it but I think they do it by GPS so no need for a speed sensor outdoors.

Everything you read just seems to contradict itself 😟

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Just to add more info.

I do not want a smart trainer as I have an exercise bike which I want to get shut of, I also have a spare real bike which is not getting used so I wanted to use that in a dumb trainer. This is a space making exercise as well!

Alex321

Veteran
Just to add more info.

I do not want a smart trainer as I have an exercise bike which I want to get shut of, I also have a spare real bike which is not getting used so I wanted to use that in a dumb trainer. This is a space making exercise as well!

A smart trainer doesn't take any more space than a dumb trainer, in general. The only disadvantage of a smart trainer over a dumb trainer is that it usually costs more.

OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Ok, thanks for the replies. I will continue my research.

As stated I won't use it a lot so have no desire to spend a lot or have subscriptions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chislenko

Chislenko

Veteran
Update.

For anyone thinking of going down this route then my advice is to ignore a lot of the advice given and just get on with it.

The addition of a simple speed sensor on the rear wheel and pairing with your watch gives me all the information I wanted....time, distance, MPH, heart rate. (You can attach and pair a cadence sensor as well if you require). This information is then automatically sent to Connect / Strava at the end of your session.

So it would appear a dumb trainer can me made smart enough for someone who just wants the information and who doesn't want the videos / subscription.

Over and out.

Top Bottom