Dumbledore is gay..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LLB

Noodley said:
And a spokesman for gay rights group Stonewall added: "It's great that JK has said this. It shows that there's no limit to what gay and lesbian people can do, even being a wizard headmaster."

:rolleyes::biggrin:

There is more than just a slight act of desperation in Peter Tatchells actions - bloke is a total twit :rolleyes:

Bigtallfatbloke

they're fantastic children's books

yes they are...CHILDRENS books, so why raise the issue of sexuality at all when it has nothing to do with the storyline? Just another example of the PC brigade I fear.

Melvil

Bigtallfatbloke said:
yes they are...CHILDRENS books, so why raise the issue of sexuality at all when it has nothing to do with the storyline? Just another example of the PC brigade I fear.

Hmmm...so the teenage snogs, lust, repressed feelings between Harry and Cho/Ginny and Ron with Hermione etc. weren't sexuality...oh yes...they were heterosexual sexuality and therefore assumed and ignored - oh no, we wouldn't want to introduce that gay stuff into childrens books now would we??????

It's not 'being PC' at all - to me it's just a little spineless 'outing' a character but not mentioning it in the books.

bonj2

it doesn't really matter whether he's gay or not. She's probably only decided that after the books were all finished anyway, for all we know she may have only just decided it on the spur of the moment.
It makes no difference either way, 'cos there's not exactly going to be a scene in the next film of him taking harry up the arse anyway, is there.

OP
OP
Brock

Brock

I just sat through the last film, and frankly it would've been a blessed relief from the boredom if he had.

Cab

Bigtallfatbloke said:

Except of course that the author says that the motivations of the character are influenced by his previous relationships.

As the other protagonists in the books would be unlikely to encounter direct evidence that Dumbledor was gay, it seems not unreasonable that it wasn't directly discussed.

The only question remaining is why it was worth revealing this after the books were published.

ChrisKH

Guru
Cab said:
Except of course that the author says that the motivations of the character are influenced by his previous relationships.

As the other protagonists in the books would be unlikely to encounter direct evidence that Dumbledor was gay, it seems not unreasonable that it wasn't directly discussed.

The only question remaining is why it was worth revealing this after the books were published.

In the final book, Dumbledore's actions appear totally out of character compared with the previous books. She is saying his actions were explained by his sexuality; he had fallen for a (male) school friend when young and his love for him had clouded his judgment in his youth. It makes the final story fit a bit better retrospectively to show he was human ( well as human as a Wizard gets).

Top Bottom