Dumfounded

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big John

Guru
Sounds like they're making the bikes so you can't fix them yourself if something goes wrong - a bit like cars nowadays. I always had to fix my car myself because I couldn't afford garage prices but now you've no chance of a bit of DIY. God help us if our only option will be to take it in to Halfords 😬

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sounds like they're making the bikes so you can't fix them yourself if something goes wrong - a bit like cars nowadays. I always had to fix my car myself because I couldn't afford garage prices but now you've no chance of a bit of DIY. God help us if our only option will be to take it in to Halfords 😬
I don't think that's really the case, and I don't know why you would think that.

But what you will find is that there are a few sub assemblies these days that would be replaced completely rather than replacing individual components - things like sealed or cartridge bearings.

Mind you, I do get a lot of things fixed by the LBS myself, rather than at home. But that's because I'm lazy and incompetent - not because it's impossible to do it at home.

Alex321

Veteran
What has been said that "sounds like" that?

The fact Ribble are mainly an online business now so don't have much in their shops doesn't really say much - and they are unlikely to have all that much in the way of components on display at the moment, because they are all going on to the bikes with current shortages.

Reactions: C R
Ribble aren't what they were. Did you ask for an innertube - those new shops are nothing more than a window display. Stock of parts is poor.

Gone are the days when they had a scruffy shop in the back of Preston, where they had loads of parts.

They cater for the 'new golfers' now - ebikers :whistle:

:cuppa:

Weird take. Look at their bike range. It's large. Sure they have ebikes but only a few.

If they'd stayed selling inner tubes and spares they'd be out of business now.

Johnno260

Veteran
It was tongue in cheek ! I do wonder if these 'showrooms' actually stock any spares though ?

I really liked the Ribble series black inner tubes when I saw they were to be discontinued I bought the last remaining 6 off their website.

I was going to brave their Bluewater store to speak with them about their Ti Endurance but not sure it’s an option now.

We shall see, if I’m up that way I may still pop in and speak with them, not sure I will make a special trip as I hate Bluewater at the best of times haha

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just a cheapie from Suits Direct. When my other daughter got married, we all wore hire suits from Moss Bros. It took all the decision making out of the process.

Wedding costs for a single day are staggering. The bride & mother of the bride outfits especially and we've volunteered to find these!

Question about the wedding costs bit as it was a long, long time ago that I had a wedding.
Bridal outfit, dress, I get that bit but Mother of the Bride outfit? Is that not just nice ‘going out’ frock and nice, but vaguely comfy shoes as on feet half the day? Or has it now changed.

I realise that I am not a ‘normal’ woman, although I do have an emergency frock and shoes somewhere, but even so. My Mum did have a new dress when I wed but it wasn’t megs money and she wore it at other outings after (christenings, cousin’s wedding, dinner dance with Dad kinds of outings).

I understand that weddings are around £20k nowadays - but I had change from £1k and I got stitched with paying for the groom and best man suit hire, which still rankles if I am honest. I got married around 20 years ago so weddings have really ramped in cost.
Best of luck @Sharky

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I was dumbfounded today on my ride. There is a car behind me, who by the sound of the engine is staying well back, that wasn't the dumbfounding part. When it eventually went by, at a safe place and very wide, no that isn't the dumbfounding bit either.

I was dumbfounded when i noticed that, not only was it an Audi, but also had a private plate. Around here either is a license to try and kill you. I was that shocked I nearly fell off the bike

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I was dumbfounded today on my ride. There is a car behind me, who by the sound of the engine is staying well back, that wasn't the dumbfounding part. When it eventually went by, at a safe place and very wide, no that isn't the dumbfounding bit either.

I was dumbfounded when i noticed that, not only was it an Audi, but also had a private plate. Around here either is a license to try and kill you. I was that shocked I nearly fell off the bike
Must have been a cyclist, with dubious choice in cars

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

Oi I resemble that private plate

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
I understand that weddings are around £20k nowadays -
I can believe that. We volunteered to pay for our daughters wedding outfit and to pay for the sit down meal afterwards. Must be £10k+.

Then there is cost of hotels, flowers, cars etc which they are paying for.

It was different when we got married. We hired the village hall, had been buying bottles every month for the bar and my OH was making sandwiches for the evening buffet in the morning of the wedding. We had co-op caterers for the main meal.

A trivial fact, we got married at 4pm on May 31st 1975. Our youngest was born in 1988, on May 31st AT 4PM!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I can believe that. We volunteered to pay for our daughters wedding outfit and to pay for the sit down meal afterwards. Must be £10k+.

Then there is cost of hotels, flowers, cars etc which they are paying for.

It was different when we got married. We hired the village hall, had been buying bottles every month for the bar and my OH was making sandwiches for the evening buffet in the morning of the wedding. We had co-op caterers for the main meal.

A trivial fact, we got married at 4pm on May 31st 1975. Our youngest was born in 1988, on May 31st AT 4PM!
That is a wonderful trivial fact. Very pleasing.

Baldy

Über Member
Two friends, Paul and Cath, got a phone call from their friends Ray and Ilene. "We're going for a ride tomorrow are you coming"? So, next day they meet up at Ray and Ilene's house.
Ray says "We've just got to go into town (Melton Mowbray) to sign some papers, hope you don't mind".
They all ride into Melton and park their bikes in the market place. Ray leads the way to an official looking building as they get to the door Paul and Cath realize it's the registry office.
Ray says, "You'd better come in as we need you for witnesses".
After saying the "I do's" and signing the licence, they went and finished their ride.

dodgy

Can't help think that spending £20k+ at such a crucial time as getting married, starting a home and family and all that is a really bad choice.
We got married in St Lucia in 2002, just us two, no guests, to all intents and purposes the wedding was free, you paid the same for the holiday if you got married or not. But we had a blessing (think like a wedding but no legal standing) for our family at a local church when we got back followed by drinks in our garden.

How did we get from bikes to weddings?!

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom