Dune

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
The Jodorowsky project sounded fun. Must watch it some time:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0cJNR8HEw0

Too much LSD:laugh::laugh::laugh: some of these concepts look like Giger's work on Alien

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For some reason liet Keynes has changed to a woman in the film,nowt wrong with that but I wish at times they would stick to the books choice in adaptions.
I am just reading chapter house dune

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Dune didn't grab me & I gave up on the book less than 1/2 way through, maybe it's due a revisit?
Me neither (the David Lynch movie though)... then about five years after my first viewing, I was watching some documentary about sci-fi movies which hailed Dune as a classic, so i revisited it. Nah, it still underwhelmed me... then about fifteen years later, some friends were telling me how great it is, so i gave it another go... it actually underwhelms me on every level, the cast, the acting, the dialogue, the not so special effects and that stupid 'my name is a weapon' bit. It's a clunker of movie :whistle:

No, that one had its moments though.

It's this one. Apparently, that is Charlotte Rampling under the veil. Mind you, I did wonder why her needle went 'Ching!' when she brought it towards young Paul Atreides' neck. Even swords don't go 'ching' unless pulled from a metal scabbard, and most scabbards were made of wood or leather.

Shwing sound explained.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0eKdGcuxAw

cyberknight

Me neither (the David Lynch movie though)... then about five years after my first viewing, I was watching some documentary about sci-fi movies which hailed Dune as a classic, so i revisited it. Nah, it still underwhelmed me... then about fifteen years later, some friends were telling me how great it is, so i gave it another go... it actually underwhelms me on every level, the cast, the acting, the dialogue, the not so special effects and that stupid 'my name is a weapon' bit. It's a clunker of movie :whistle:
That film is pants and always has been , i found the mini series a lot better

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B1nfv65xQY

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
That film is pants and always has been , i found the mini series a lot better

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B1nfv65xQY

I shall check that out... thanks :smile:

I've always wanted to like Dune and will more than likely watch the new movie too

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The Jodorowsky project sounded fun. Must watch it some time:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0cJNR8HEw0

It sounds a shame it was never made. The David Lynch film did start pretty well, but then it fell apart. It is a difficult book to film. For a start, you have the Bene Gesserit sisterhood. They are so good at reading body language, they are practically mind readers, but how do you portray that on film?

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Yer know, one of the things I always had a problem with is those suits the Fremen wear to preserve water. Sorry, I do not think they are physically plausible. I think they would be insulating. They are supposed to reclaim sweat, but that means they would reclaim the latent heat too. If the suits had lots of fins or tubes, they might lose heat by convection, but that is not how they are described. You have to think why people sweat at all, considering thirst can be a problem. It is because other heat loss methods are not sufficient.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I hope that the movie is successful and we see the sequel with nuclear jihad and freedom fighters:okay:
I’ve eventually got around to reading it after picking it up and putting it down many times in the bookshop. I’m more a dystopia kinda guy than straight sci-fi, so it’s a little off my beaten track.

It was interesting in the trailer how they’ve used the word ‘crusade’ instead of ‘jihad’, which would be more true to book alongside the other borrowings from Islam. I guess the word ‘jihad’ has taken on a specific meaning in the west that doesn’t capture the different interpretations in Islam so they just went for the easy option. The word ‘crusade’ tends to get Mrs Dr B’s hackles up for the same reason, even though these days its use is generally innocent enough.

Sorry, too heavy. I’d better check over the house atomics...

cyberknight

Yer know, one of the things I always had a problem with is those suits the Fremen wear to preserve water. Sorry, I do not think they are physically plausible. I think they would be insulating. They are supposed to reclaim sweat, but that means they would reclaim the latent heat too. If the suits had lots of fins or tubes, they might lose heat by convection, but that is not how they are described. You have to think why people sweat at all, considering thirst can be a problem. It is because other heat loss methods are not sufficient.
this is why i guess they tended to move about at night when it was cooler and the act of perspiration acted as a cooling for the body , i think the difficulty is defining normal perspiration against sweating profusely especially given over time the fremen body would have adapted to the conditions which i would hazard a guess at reduced sweating and lower water percentage .Also given the lack of moisture in the air so the low humidity and the high humidity is often the cause fir feeling hot

Top Bottom