Dunkirk Ferry port to Lille cycle suggestions pls

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Going to make my first attempt to cycle down to Switzerland to visit family & friends this coming Spring / Summer - any help Re starting out much appreciated

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've got family in CH and want to do the same next year. I was thinking more travelling closer to the Rhein and taking that route to the Bern region, slow and B&Bzy.....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There is now a cycle lane in the port. Unfortunately, it dumps you out on the motorway feeder road (Route de la Maison Blanche) which has naff-all space for cycling so you're either riding in/near a dashed shoulder or mixing it with the ferry lorries. :sad: To get to the Route des Dunes, leave the cycle lane and cut across the tarmac to the LEFT-HAND exit gate immediately before the port fence, just after the oft-closed customs post. That'll take you to the roundabout where you can turn left, head north a little, then right at a big roundabout onto the Dunes Route for either the Rue du Moulin (as you probably want to head through Loon Plage to Craywick and beyond to Lille) or going through Mardyck.

Brains

Legendary Member
Your basic route planner is here
https://cycle.travel/map

I too would be inclined to do an overnight ferry from Harwich to Hoek of Holland (Rotterdam)
From there you basically follow the superb Rhine cycle route

The best of the Rhine cycle map books are these ones
https://www.esterbauer.com/db_detail.php?buecher_code=RHE4

But it does depend to a degree on where you are starting in the UK and where you want to go in Switzerland

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I've got family in CH and want to do the same next year. I was thinking more travelling closer to the Rhein and taking that route to the Bern region, slow and B&Bzy.....

Following rivers, good idea very few hills.

Brains

Legendary Member
For the OP
It looks like the consensus for the easiest exit from Dunkirk is this one

upload_2018-11-26_15-15-43.png

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Be aware that the port exits onto the other roundabout (southwest of the green marker in that picture) and the green patch at the top corner is a short (<50m) gravel section. It's used by vans so it's usually pretty well packed but it's used by tractors so maybe not always!

For Dunkirk town/station, turn left at the crossroads in Loon Plage onto the D940, then right onto the signposted cycle route (part back roads, part cycle tracks, part cycle lanes slowly being replaced with cycle tracks). You can save a little distance by turning left after the level crossing but you'll lose any time you save waiting for the traffic lights crossing the D601.

OP
OP
HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty

HumpTdumpty
Hi All many many thanks - given me plenty to ponder (confidence to give it a go bring the main challenge)

Brains

Legendary Member
OP

Be aware that Dunkirk ferry port is closer to Calais than it is to Dunkirk

Also be very aware of wind direction/strength. This coastal area of France is flat, very flat.
There are a number of tails in these pages of missed ferries caused by headwinds.
It took us something like 2 hours to get from Dunkirk port to Dunkirk Ferry terminal against a headwind that resulted in experienced cyclists walking as it was as fast as riding but took less effort.

Corrected route below showing the double-back you have to do on exiting the port.
Through the gates and then follow the perimeter fence around to the left.

upload_2018-11-26_23-30-53.png

As pointed out in a message above, the green turnoff (photo below) looks like a turning into a field.
no signs, no indication of where it may lead.
It's only gravel for 50m

upload_2018-11-26_23-38-30.png

andrew_s

Legendary Member
You don't want to cross the D601 on that road. The D601 is a fast dual carriageway, and there's no underpass or any thing.

Go through the edge of Loon Plage as on the first version.

mjr

You don't want to cross the D601 on that road. The D601 is a fast dual carriageway, and there's no underpass or any thing.

Go through the edge of Loon Plage as on the first version.
The crossing shown in the second image has traffic lights. The first one into Loon Plage is an underpass, which is faster.

Top Bottom