Dunkirk to Zeebrugge route query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

For various Ferry operator related reasons, I'm looking into the possibility of cycling from Dunkirk to Zeebrugge. The map suggests bang straight up the coast· Is it that easy? Does the FNRTTC (Berlgian Edition) do any of that? Hint, pointers and pitfalls to watch out for welcome.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
For various Ferry operator related reasons, I'm looking into the possibility of cycling from Dunkirk to Zeebrugge. The map suggests bang straight up the coast· Is it that easy? Does the FNRTTC (Berlgian Edition) do any of that? Hint, pointers and pitfalls to watch out for welcome.
Not exactly, however a few of us have ridden Dunkerque-Ostend in one or both directions. Straightforward with a bit of careful route planning. @ianrauk and @mmmmartin, among others will have useful input I'm sure. The first stretch out of Dunkerque is simple enough, provided you avoid the breakwaters (retracting bridges that open leaving you no option but to backtrack several miles…). De Panne to Ostend is pleasant, though the long promenades do get sand drifts, plus many pedestrians. Don't know past Ostend I'm afraid.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Dunkirk to Bruges was the first leg of my diy audax last weekend. We followed the D60 to De Panne, then the N396 to Nieuwpoort, then along the west bank of the canal (ie opposite side to the N358) to Plassendalebrug, then the path along the south bank of the canal to Bruges.

Probably quite easy to get from there to Zeebrugge.

Lovely ride, very flat and good road surfaces. Even the first bit along the road out of Dunkirk was very quiet first thing on a Saturday morning.

ETA: this is the route, if you're interested, though you might want to go direct from Ostend to Zeebrugge rather than via Bruges: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21617091 - and I can't help with the bit from Dunkirk port to the town.

Last edited:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
From Dunkirk ferry port you must, must, turn left at the first roundabout outside the port fares and ensure your get on to the route des dunes. Thence it's fairly simple. The esplanade along the coast is flat and straightbut might have people on it, depending on the time of day. But it's a cycle route so ting your bell. There's a small ferry at Ostend that takes you across the harbour so you don't need to take the busy road.
After Ostend I've ridden on the road but not the coast.

bladesman73

Über Member
have ridden from bredene to depanne and back..its a pleasure, even the roads are nice to cycle on. also ridden from blankenberge down to bredene and tis the same in terms of road cycling. north of blankenberge it gets a bit grim visually

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
From Dunkirk ferry port you must, must, turn left at the first roundabout outside the port fares and ensure your get on to the route des dunes. Thence it's fairly simple. [...]
Just in case anyone else stumbles across this looking for tips: there is a newish (it was there last May) cycle lane in the port which attempts to take you along the recent chord that bypasses the critical roundabout, dumping you onto the horrible autoroute feeder road which has no cycle lane yet. Leave the cycle lane before the port perimeter fence and exit through the left gate instead to get to the roundabout to turn left.

Brains

Legendary Member
Ridden the roiute in both directions, fairly easy, just keep the sea on your left (not that you can see it most of the time)

However, seriously take note of the wind direction, if it's behind you, then cycle on, if however you have a headwind, then head inland, a long way inland, or better still take the train.
A few years back we had 5 failrly experienced cyclists, even with slipstreaming we were hitting a top speed of 7mph into the wind, three of the team eventually gave up and walked as it was less effort and nearly as fast.
We ended up missing two ferries as it took about two hours to cycle from Dunkirk town to Dunkirk port

Last edited:
Top Bottom