Dunwich Dynamo 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlieAlison

Eat cake, ride fastish
Hi all
I would love to find some peeps to ride this with. I'm slow - last year a sedate 15.5 hours (but I did get lost for an extra ten miles and there was a lot of stopping for food and to look at stuff)... hopefully this year a quicker ride/no getting lost!
I'm also planning to stay down in Suffolk for a couple of days afterwards so no coach/train time pressure either.
Please let me know if you are looking for a riding buddyfor this or have a group of people I could join..
Thanks!

mattobrien

Guru
I am planning on riding the DD this year with a friend, but suspect we may be aiming to do it a marginally faster pace though.

I suspect we be aiming for around 16 mph average, which would make it just over 7 hours rolling time,maybe 8 hours all in with a couple of stops, but nothing too long. If that sounds feasible, the more the merrier.

I suspect there will be others riding it from this parish too calling @4F @Andrew_Culture

compo

Veteran
I will be doing the DD again this year, probably for the last time. Being quite slow, about 11/12 mph average over the whole ride, I leave a bit early and this gives me time to detour to my daughter at Sudbury for a meal and an hour off the bike, then rejoin the route and finish at Dunwich not too late.

compo

Veteran
[QUOTE 3083470, member: 30090"]Would like to this. What's the general feel though of the ride from people that have done it? Is it awash with idiot cyclists that undertake, ride too close etc. Or is there a more sedate feeling as you ride through the night? Or is it a bit of both?[/QUOTE]

Depends how fast you ride. if you are a normal cyclist you will find that many of the fast guys are well up the road ahead of you out of harms way. There is one group from a club who are reputed to think the DD is there solely for their convenience and heaven help any mere mortals who hold them up, but having said that I had no problems last year. A few miles out from the start and things begin to unwind, groups develop of cyclists of similar speeds. If you are used to riding with other riders you will have no problems from other riders

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Yep I will be riding it again this year and riding to the start as well :>) I am looking at doing it in about 7/8 hours. @User30090 yes there are a few idiots but once you get out to Epping things soon thin out

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Depends how fast you ride. if you are a normal cyclist you will find that many of the fast guys are well up the road ahead of you out of harms way. There is one group from a club who are reputed to think the DD is there solely for their convenience and heaven help any mere mortals who hold them up, but having said that I had no problems last year. A few miles out from the start and things begin to unwind, groups develop of cyclists of similar speeds. If you are used to riding with other riders you will have no problems from other riders

Nickers Off Ready When I Come Home Velo?

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'm a bit torn here, I really want to cycle to the start with @4F but the 100 on Sunday nearly flattened me, although it was with 40mph headwinds!

Either way I'll be meeting up with Trumpet, @dktd and a few other friends and will not be making the mistake I did last year of averaging about 20mph for the first 70 miles trying to keep up with kids on fixies that were young enough that I could have fathered them. I will be there though!

Reactions: 4F

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'm intending to follow the suggestion made over on YACF and do it backwards- yes, start in Dunwich and ride back to Hackney...
I saw far too much poor/non-existant roadcraft last year- many close passes, undertaking (I was a victim of that at least half a dozen times), people riding with no lights when it was gone nine...hence the attraction of doing a Nur Nud. Enjoy the peace and quiet in Suffolk, mind**** all the aforementioned idiots (and I really will have got to Dunwich before them :evil:) and a much easier journey home (not the same ease for Suffolk peeps obviously).

MichaelO

Veteran
I'll be doing this, for the first time, this year. Anyone had any experience of the coach transportation put on by Southwark cycling? I imagine it's a bit of a scrum..?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The Nur Nud idea sounds attractive. I've never done the real thing, although I did @Flying Dodo 's Diddy Dun Run last year. However I have a bad feeling about my availability. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

compo

Veteran
I'll be doing this, for the first time, this year. Anyone had any experience of the coach transportation put on by Southwark cycling? I imagine it's a bit of a scrum..?

I sat watching the coaches and lorries loading last year while I waited for my lift home. I was most impressed. I didn't see any pushing or shoving, in true British style orderly queues were maintained.

rb58

Enigma
I'm planning on doing it again. It'll be my fourth. Riding back as well. @StuAff - I'm still not convinced riding it in reverse at the same time as the main event is a great idea - there will be people riding at pace in the opposite direction, in the dark, in groups.
@User30090 - no different to a busy FNRttC really, other than the number of riders for the first few miles.
@ianrauk - go on, you know you want to. It's an easy 200+ miler.

Top Bottom