Dunwich Dynamo 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
AndyWilliams

AndyWilliams

Über Member
Andy, it is definitely worth doing. I think I've done it about seven times now - albeit not for the last couple of years - the sheer numbers are something I appear to be shying away from, but that shouldn't put you off.
What's your weekly mileage? Assuming you ride regularly, the old wives tale / folklore / feng-bikey has it that whatever you ride in a week, you should be able to complete in one hit without undue stress. Assuming you ride regularly.....
If you don't, you'd probably benefit from some rides to build up the miles in your legs. Just so you can enjoy the ride - rather than find it torture....
Tips:
  • Take food. Take all the food you think you are going to need. Although in recent years there have been an increasing number of pop-up entrepreneurial bacon roll vendors in the second half of the ride, the main, official, half-way food stop is not to be relied on - they can easily run out of food if the weather forecast and turnout is good. Depending on when you arrive at Dunwich beach, the queue for a full English at the Flora Tea Rooms could be > 400+ strong. Other breakfast options (The Ship) are available, but are very thin on the ground, and easily over-subscribed.
  • As has been said, take a couple of tubes, and some tools to fit them with. Check, or have the bike checked over by someone who knows which end of a screwdriver is the end you hold, before the ride. There's a camaraderie on the ride which suggests you needn't take the entire contents of your Parktool tool box with you. Figure out if your bike has an Achilles heel, get that fixed, and pack tools accordingly.
  • The return journey. Some cycle back, I never have. www.southwark.cyclists.org have for many years organised return coaches, with your bike travelling with others in one of several lorries. It's an option which plenty go for - I think the numbers repatriated thusly last year were 800+. If you can live with their timetable, and aren't retentively precious about the paintwork on your frame, then it is one solution. The last couple of times I've done the ride, once I'd reached Dunwich I've ridden solo to Diss, to catch train back to LST, a further 26 or so miles, along some lovely, traffic free lanes. It's a nice contrast to having spent the night on the road with 1,000 road warriors. Prior to that, and my top tip to you, is persuade someone dear to you, to come and collect you by car. I had the added and unexpected advantage that my chauffeuse elected to bring with her delights like bouquets of flowers, bubbles, chocolate & a blanket. It's a struggle to decide which is the better option for me - the VW Passat estate and bubbles, or the the 26 solo miles to Diss.... On your first Dynamo I'd go for the former if I were you.
Do it.
I did it because (in about 2006) I stumbled across it on the interwebs (It is the one single factor that made me buy a bike and return to cycling), and thought 'I must do this, before it becomes too big, too organised, and someone says "Risk Assessment / Method Statement / Entry fee / Conditions / Etc; Etc"
Unsurprisingly that's the way it looks to be heading.

Do it.
Enjoy it, it is not a race.
Go suitably equipped.
Don't let the twattishness (inevitably, there will be some) of some of the riders spoil your night.

Do it.
And then look forward cadging a ride on any battery-powered (small turn-out / different dates) versions which are offered on here - for a wholly different experience.

I hope you choose well, Andy, and enjoy it when you do.
J

ETA
There's an uncommonly sexy full moon out there tonight.
If your ride has one of those, you'll definitely be in Happy Street.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading your reply and helpful tips. Thank you @User10571

I haven't ridden for a few months now due to the weather and also being unwell. Long story but I suffer with a blood disorder which needs treatment every 3 months, I am overdue. When I was regularly riding, 3-4 times a week I would clock up around 150 miles a week, and they were easy miles. I need to understand an eating/drinking pattern as I ran out of food too far from home once. Sunday so no shops I found were open.

I have a turbo trainer now so will be on that a fair bit when its bad weather. Otherwise I now have weather gear so can go out properly. I have an Evans Ride It 75 miler on the 21st February.

Food will be tricky I think, I have serious dietary issues, so stuff I can carry, well....I'll have to figure this one out. Bananas, apples, 'Free From' rice cakes, 'Free From' dark chocolate. Anything else is cooked foods, as in dinners.

My OH will possibly collect me........possibly Haha

Best I get training then, although I have plenty of time yet :smile:

2pies

Veteran
I think its about time I do the Dun Run. Sounds really good fun and much more communal than the typical sponsored sportives I've ridden in the UK and abroad.

Happy to meet up with any fellow first timer's at the start of the event for a chat and a bite to eat. Thanks for the link to the Facebook page, I've joined up and will keep a keen eye for details of the coach and bike transport back.

U

User10571

You don't see many of those either!
But we have seen one - piloted by the inimitable Charlotte.

compo

Veteran
there was one last year ridden by a gentleman in all the gear, tweeds, plus fours etc. He looked good!

compo

Veteran
Has the DD been done on a unicycle yet I wonder. That would be an achievement, and before anyone suggests it although I have a unicycle I wont even think about it.

2pies

Veteran
This is cool. But doesn't look like it should be confused with anything offered by Southwark Cyclists. Just sayin'...

It is:

Dear xxx,
Thank you for your order with Southwark Cyclists. Please save a copy of this receipt for your records.

Order information
Order ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: February 22, 2015
Item Price
Dunwich Dynamo return transport - Dunwich Dynamo Return Early Bird Offer - Individual - also buy multiple tickets 25.00
xxxxxxxxx

Suggest if you are planning to go, snap up tickets now. Price is right, and they will sell out. If you don't end up riding, it will be easy to sell the tickets - at least at the cheaper price if I am wrong and they don't sell out. In 2012 they were gone a week before the ride (bet I have already said this up thread. sorry to be dull)

Top Bottom