Duolingo for a foreign language

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Solocle

Über Member
I've been learning some Hebrew for a little while now.
1709564042852.png

Attachments

• 1709563942553.png
    1709563942553.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 2

bluenotebob

Veteran
If you see a word written down, you should know how to pronounce it if you have any reasonable knowledge of the language at all.

Fair point ... and 'rules for pronunciation' of Scots Gaelic are what I definitely lack.

I'd guess that Welsh is a bit easier - or perhaps that's because I spent a lot of time in N Wales as a child (so it's less mysterious).

There's a lot in common between Welsh and Breton. Penmaenmawr is one placename I keep coming back to. Both 'pen' and 'maen' exist here in Brittany - although 'maen' tends to show up as 'méné' ... and 'mawr' is also Scots - as 'mhah'.

The 'coed', as in Betwys-y-coed, is all over here too - appearing more often as 'coët' and also 'hoët' (or houët).. all meaning 'wood'.

I love the cross-over between the Welsh, Cornish and Breton languages. Just wish I understood them better..

Currently using Duolingo to brush up on my O’level German (showing my age) ahead of my touring holiday this summer. Have also bought a grammar book as the “learning by osmosis and repetition” doesn’t sit well with me. I know that it is tried and tested and based on how people learn languages but I like to understand the rules!

I'm the same - even learning individual words, I absorb better if I can see it AND hear it. Otherwise I feel I'm just a mimic who is making a noise VAGUELY LIKE the noise the natives make. Same with foreign folks' names.

[ I'm pretty good at grammar rules, so perhaps that's why I enjoy learning it - but I don't think it does any HARM to understand the grammar even if most people don't learn that way :P ]

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
After seven years of doing five/ten minutes a day I've come to the end of Duolingo's Dutch lessons.

I've dramatically improved my grammar in that time and have moved on to reading Dutch language books now.

I went to live in NL in 1980 so I'm only 44 years late in learning the language!

I'm now starting French and hope to be fluent around my 120th birthday.

Anyone else learning a language?

I have a reasonably advanced level of Italian (C1). Certainly enough to be comfortable speaking with Italians when I’m there on holiday, in almost any situation. Of course, I’m still learning and hoping to achieve C2 level, so I still do courses when I can.

Currently studying at Strathclyde University and I also take advantage of classes through my local U3A which are free (there is an annual membership fee of £24). You’ll certainly have one in your area but you’d need to check if they do the language(s) you want.

Probably the best method is to take a lover in the target language but since I’m married I have to content myself with good Italian friends with whom I can practise.

I have a couple of suggestions I can make if you’re looking for ways to practise. Duolingo can only get you so far.

dimrub

I work for a French company, and a lot of the corporate emails that get sent to a large group of employees are in both French and English, so they're like mini French lessons.

A very-very long time ago I read in a USENET post that it is customary in Canada to have official notices posted in both English and French. And at a case referred to by the poster there was a rather lengthy beaurocratic note about this being closed or that being limited, and below that there was a much more laconic French version that read like this: "La meme chose".

dimrub

I doubt that Duolingo could get a student beyond A1 -A2 level on its own. It's just a basic tool that ought to be supplemented with other input and study.

The level you can get to differs from language to language. I've done several courses, some can probably get you as far as B1 or even B2, others do not go beyond A1 (Arabic, I'm lookin at you).

OP
OP
HobbesOnTour
After seven years of doing five/ten minutes a day I've come to the end of Duolingo's Dutch lessons.
Congratulations, or should I say Gefeliciteerd!

I'm now starting French
Bon chance!

Speaking Dutch and French you'll be applying for a Belgian passport next! ^_^

Ironically, I've just let my Duolingo sub expire (still do it every day, though). One of the most useful parts, the forum, has been dropped (in Spanish at least) and since Duo gives practically zero grammar explanations the forum was very useful.
On top of that, its Spanish is geared to the Americas so is slightly less useful.

I still say it's a great tool for starting off by virtue of it always being "on me" and the short, snappy nature of the lessons combining to make it easy to give it a go. Less mentally off-putting than digging out that grammar book and doing some exercises.

For learning/reinforcing new vocab I suggest something like Quizlet, a flashcard based app & website. A simple, 2 column spreadsheet file can be copied & pasted in. Vocab can be tested, new language to English or vice versa, visually or spoken. Really great to go for a walk and be practising vocab. I use it also for longer, complicated sentences.
You can also search for what others have created and use theirs!
The likes of ChatGPT can also "converse" in different languages, again written, spoken or both. Very useful for people working on their own.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I started using Duolingo after @HobbesOnTour 's recommendation during lockdown and thankyou for that Hobbes. Initially it was to brush up my French, but after a few months I started from scratch with Welsh as I think it's a lovely poetic language. A few weeks ago was a red letter day for me when I ordered my food in a cafe in Welsh (and more to the point, got what I had ordered!). I am under no illusion that I'll ever be able to hold a conversation in Welsh, but my goal has always been to do things like ordering food or tickets etc.
I'd heartily recommend the site to anyone.

Top Bottom