Duolingo for a foreign language

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Since I reached a 40 day streak today I thought I'd throw up a recommendation for Duolingo as an accessible and fun way to get some confidence in a foreign language.

It's free to use (although that only allows a certain number of mistakes a day until it shuts down) and can be done on a phone/tablet or PC.

It focuses on the practical rather than the theory so sometimes I'm left scratching my head as to why a sentence is structured the way it is. There are online forums where some helpful people provide more info which can be quite helpful. (On the flip side there are some people with waaaaaaay too much time on their hands there too!^_^).

Lessons are organised by theme and can be done in bite size pieces, maybe 5 minutes at a time.

There's a lot of listening and some speaking to be done (it listens to you). Linked to the app are Podcasts with more aural exercises.

There are League tables with promotion and relegation every week so you can compete if you're that way inclined ^_^

Having done a month of one on one Spanish lessons back in Jan/Febish I find this a great way to build up on what I learned and supplement the (basic) notes I have from that time. What I have noticed is the constant repitition of vocabulary makes it easier (for me) to learn it.

If you already have the basics of a language you can jump in at a higher level - I suppose it would be handy for keeping your foreign language(s) alive too.

Lord knows when foreign travel will be possible, or desirable, again but in the meantime Duolingo is a pretty nifty (and fun) way of getting a bit of practise in!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you'd like a really quick introduction to tourist phrases in a language, the World Nomads sponsored phrasebook podcasts (often labelled "listen: quick ... Lesson" now I think) are silly but pretty good. Some phrases (hopefully) aren't as useful: "don't shoot! These drugs aren't mine" is still stuck in my memory.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm a Duolingo fan, and have been using it for three years.

I did a fairly intensive couple of months before a holiday in France; that made a huge difference helping me in shops, cafes and public transport.

More recently I have been using it to improve my Dutch, which was fading fast. I lived and worked in the Netherlands years ago and have family there. I have done ten minutes daily for the last 350 daysand it's made a huge difference.

It's fun too.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm a Duolingo fan too. It is good fun but is only going to get you so far.

I use it as an introductory tool for a new language then I move on to teach yourself books to build further, and then start watching TV programmes or listening to radio in the target language. TV is easier because the added visual context is a great help. I continue to use Duolingo as a top-up method for impromptu revision opportunities such as on the bus going to work.

I've mentioned elsewhere on here that my favourite learning method is using comics. Simple dialogue, simple sentence structures and lots of pictures to explain the context. Another thing is to find a magazine in the target language related to a hobby or topic I really like, perhaps science, photography, cycling or beer. There's more incentive when I'm learning vocabulary about a subject I like rather than classroom exercises where I have to learn how to ask for a bigger jacket in a clothes shop.

There's no single correct way to learn, I think there are as many methods as there are people studying but you have to put in the hours. Books that suggest "Become fluent in [language] in 30 days" or whatever are lying, that's just not possible.

Oddly, the one method I cannot get along with is parallel text books where the foreign text is on the left page mirrored by the English translation on the right. I end up reading the English all the time! (No self-control)

IaninSheffield

Veteran
^_^
It's funny how the thought of maintaining a streak brings us back!! ^_^
Indeed. Little and often is a sound learning strategy ("Spacing"), so any elements which encourage that can make a difference.
Like @All uphill I too used Duolingo for Dutch, although I was an absolute beginner. I havent had the chance to deploy my learning in the Netherlands yet, but hope to put that right when 'things' blow over.
At the same time as Duolingo, I also found Memrise helpful - similar, but with different mechanics.

I've be using it to keep my hand in with Scottish Gaelic. I can't be bothered with the ancillary rubbish like lingots, crowns and league tables and I don't do the exercises that it tells me to do but It has fairly helped to improve my spelling. When it comes up with a word I'm not sure of I can pretty well work out how to spell it.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I'm using Memrise, I like the range of real life characters in the video snippets. I started learning German when our daughter was working in Berlin and really enjoyed it.
I've switched to French as we were planning an excursion to Pegasus Bridge on our Brommies in June. Sadly that's off the cards at the moment.

jongooligan

Legendary Member
I started from scratch with Duolingo Spanish and kept up a five month streak. I enjoyed it and supplemented it with free open university courses. You can find them at FutureLearn. They take an approach similar to @glasgowcyclist with references to Spanish TV and comics. They assume no prior knowledge, starting at a very basic level in course 1 and building to a more advanced proficiency through six standalone courses. So if you already had some knowledge you could jump in at the course number suitable to you.

However, I realised in January that we probably wouldn't be going to Spain any time soon, if at all, so I dropped it. Five months later I can barely remember a word of Spanish.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I enjoyed it and supplemented it with free open university courses. You can find them at FutureLearn.

Thanks for that link, I've just signed up for their Spanish 🇪🇸 and Chinese 🇨🇳 courses. The Spanish one isn't on yet so I've joined the waiting list.

However, I realised in January that we probably wouldn't be going to Spain any time soon, if at all, so I dropped it. Five months later I can barely remember a word of Spanish.

Aw, that's a bummer. I'm hoping to take advantage of the enforced home stay to learn more. I won't be going anywhere foreign for the foreseeable future either but there are local groups of foreign speakers who now do their get-togethers online so there's still the opportunity to practise and learn with others. Does that appeal to you? That way when you finally get to Spain you'll be at a decent level.

DRM

Guru
I've been using duolingo to learn French for the holidays, this latest thing with hearts on the app is infuriating with only 5 strikes and you're out, a lot of people have complained about it, as it makes trying to get your head round a new topic impossible, it's definitely a backwards step, but if you use the website it doesn't do this, :okay: but it does work as I can definitely do more then just get by now when I'm there.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hmm, I've been meaning to get a handle onto Italian. I've pretty good French so I understand (or can decode) bits already but Duolingo might be a good way to get going.

OneWorldItaliano https://www.youtube.com/user/Oneworlditaliano/videos ordered lessons (the first 20 or so are very useful for a grounding)
Learn Italian with Lucrezia https://www.youtube.com/user/lucreziaoddone (this will be too hard, but useful a few months in).
Paul Noble is pretty cheap

If you want a non-native on-line language partner ever the offer is there.

Top Bottom