Dura ace 7900 jockey wheels.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paxterg

Veteran
Anyone know where i can get replacement Dura Ace 7900 jockey wheels. Have looked on interweb and can only find them in one place for forty quid!!

Drago

Legendary Member
What about a quality aftermarket set, KCNC or similar?

In what way, Mr Saddle? I'm using a set in an X9 mech that work perfectly, and have done so for a decade.
They are noisy, run with more friction than glass reinforced plastics and the guide pulley has a fixed bearing, which requires absolutely perfect gear adjustment. The top pulley in a Dura Ace wheel is a great piece of engineering.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
They are one of the most stupidly expensive small pieces of essential mech ever.

Drago

Legendary Member
They are noisy, run with more friction than glass reinforced plastics and the guide pulley has a fixed bearing, which requires absolutely perfect gear adjustment. The top pulley in a Dura Ace wheel is a great piece of engineering.

I can only speak from my experiences as an owner.

They spin far more freely than an XTR jockey (I don't have a DA one to compare to) without any doubt, by some fair margin

Precise derailleur adjustment is no problem. I'm Cytech 1, so nothing special really, just an average bicycle spanner monkey and have no problems with a tight, slick, precise adjustment of the mechs only anyof my bikes.

I haven't noticed any extra noise, bit will listen in tomorrow when I ride it cross country to Milton Keynes, although as I haven't noticed in almost a decade I'm guessing any extra noise can't be significant.

Like the OP, I had a damaged jockey wheel and balked at the price SRAM wanted for X9 jobs, hence the KCNC ones. In a decade of ownership my only complaint is that the anodised finish attracts the eye, and they look grubby very quickly

Svendo

Guru
I've got some cheap Alu jockey wheels with fixed bearings off ebay on my commuter bike in a DA7900 derailleur which work fine. Can't tell you about friction and I expect they wear the chain more than plastic ones, but I've not noticed any trouble with adjustment, still a relatively big 'sweet spot'. I did wonder if the lack of float would be a problem but doesn't seem to be. Of course YMMV.

Svendo

Guru
Well I bl@@dy jinxed that didn't I! On way home the other day needed a slight adjustment as a bit slow going into lower gears. Then last night started catching adjacent cogs in high gears, and with my expert touch on the down tube adjuster I totally fubbarred it. Fairly sure I ended up in the wrong gear for the lever position but it served to get home. After I cleaned it I did get it readjusted and working properly, and was fine on the way in this afternoon.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The fancy alloy ones seem to work just as well as the plastic ones but they have fancy holes drilled in them, which collect black chain gunk whereas the plastic ones don't, so they're easier to clean.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was fingering the goods in my LBS when I picked up a pair of the alloy ones that were priced at £40 and exclaimed in surprise. The show owner overheard me and asked: "Do you like them? You can have 'em for twenty quid if you like!" I thought £20 was about OK for a pair of jockey wheels so I took them. They worked fine but didn't make me any faster.

Top Bottom