Dura Ace bar end shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
OK, silly question time. I've just got a set of BS77 Dura Ace bar end shifters off eBay. In the fitting instructions, it states that they cannot be used with any other rear derailleur other than the dura ace. Is this b@lox, or does the dura ace mech move further than others for a given amount of cable pull?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
They are 8/9 speed aren't they? in which case it is total bollocks, they will work with a wide range of Shimano RDs and they also have the ability to flip to friction only and will work with even more.

OP
OP
Andy_R

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I have them on my Surly LHT and that's got an XT rear mech and 9 speed cassette, so yes, that's rubbish.
Are they definitely the 77s and not the 78s? I'm just wondering about the cable pull ratio as I'm not sure if they're pre/post 1996.

*edit* I've just done a quick assembly and they have 8 clicks between top and bottom so they must be 9 speed. That makes them post 1996 doesn't it?

Pottsy

Well I bought them in about 2009 when I built up the bike, so they're definitely post-1996. I can't be sure what specific model they are but there is a small sticker on the right-hand, rear shifting control that says - compatible with RD-7700 (9s) and RD-7400 (8s). Does that help? :wacko:

Top Bottom