Dura ace shifter broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Somehow, i managed to break the left shifter. The shop mechanic told me i needed to get a new one and he would replace it. I searched on line and it seems to cost $599.00 fot the Dura Ace shifter. Yikes! I cannot afford it. Are there any alernatives anyone knows of? Any ideas? Thanks
What part has broken, you can rebuild them, https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/ Rebuilt one last week.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Oops yes - brakes swapped, not gears! :whistle:

A thought occurred to me... If the bike does have Di2, maybe those boxes you piled on the bike pushed on one of the shifter levers throughout the journey and that flattened the battery? If so, it just needs recharging!

si_c

Guru
At this point I'd suggest removing the cable and trying to re-run it to see if that solves the problem. Once you have the cable out you can see the ratchet motion within the shifter when you change gears, which would give an indication as to whether the movement is working.

There are plenty of guides on youtube on how to change cables which should show you how to get the cable out and re-fit it. It's not particularly complicated.

OP
OP
P

pbart49

Oops yes - brakes swapped, not gears! :whistle:

A thought occurred to me... If the bike does have Di2, maybe those boxes you piled on the bike pushed on one of the shifter levers throughout the journey and that flattened the battery? If so, it just needs recharging!
what is Di2? never mind...I looked it up. Thanks. P

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I assume you bought the bike second hand. Dura Ace is the top notch kit, got it on my best bike but it's 30 years old, and hard to replace so is looked after. That said, it's original still.

It's reliable kit, but break it, it always has cost a fortune. :becool: I road raced on my bike that had 600/Ultegra - slightly cheaper to replace. Time trialled on the best bike.

OP
OP
P

pbart49

So here's the back story...my daughter bought this bike, used, probably 8-10 years ago...a Scott...if memory serves me correctly she was told it was worth around $3,000 and she paid $1,500 I think. Our family was doing sprint tri's at the time. I think she used the bike a handful of times, and not since then, or very little at least. She became a mom etc....Anyway, when my wife and I visit, my wife rides the bike and of course, loves it, particularly compared to her hybrid Trek she has at home. So for past 3 years we bring it home with us since my daughter doesn't use it anymore, and after this trip home, the gear shifter did not work. Of course, we feel responsible for the bike and will get it fixed...I will be talking with the bike tech tomorrow and see what he thinks is wrong, and what ideas he has for repair. All the information I received from this cite has been very helpful and I am very appreciative.

fossyant

A good bike mechanic will take a good look at the shifter. Many get gunked up with old lube, or you might have a jammed cable. Worse case, you have to keep an eye out on ebay for a used spare lever. I'd hold out rather than getting new stuff. Love my 30 year old Dura Ace 7400 series, sweet as a nut.

OP
OP
P

pbart49

A good bike mechanic will take a good look at the shifter. Many get gunked up with old lube, or you might have a jammed cable. Worse case, you have to keep an eye out on ebay for a used spare lever. I'd hold out rather than getting new stuff. Love my 30 year old Dura Ace 7400 series, sweet as a nut.
How can I know which Dura Ace shifter it is? I'm guessing the repair folks will know...

fossyant

How can I know which Dura Ace shifter it is? I'm guessing the repair folks will know...

Take a picture and post it. How many rear sprockets does it have ? More difficult finding the numbers on shifters, but there will be a number on the inside of the rear gear.

We can help here !:okay:

si_c

Guru
If it was 8-10 years ago most likely 7900, especially if second hand. Check the sprockets at the back, there should be ten and there should be no cables coming out of the side of the shifters. If there are then it will be 7800 which is a bit older.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Two suggestions:
  • Count the sprockets (cogs) on the rear wheel: that will help (us). Do not get hung up about 'DuraAce'. These are oldish and any 10 speed (probably) replacement will be fine and give the same performance (and be available second hand). Probably change both sides (STIs).
  • On no account leave the old ones with the bike shop. The one that you think isn't working can be fixed, probably, and they have significant resale value.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
SO…. In the end… the problem turned out to be that there was too much gunk in the mechanism…. The technician said he sprayed a bunch of degreaser/ solvent in and eventually got the shifter to work! Go figure.
That's not unexpected on a shifter that has been in use for a while. Good result at the end.

Top Bottom