Dura ace shifter broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pbart49

Somehow, i managed to break the left shifter. The shop mechanic told me i needed to get a new one and he would replace it. I searched on line and it seems to cost $599.00 fot the Dura Ace shifter. Yikes! I cannot afford it. Are there any alernatives anyone knows of? Any ideas? Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
A couple of options.
Source one off of Ebay, you're best bet if you want to keep to DA
Get a lower groupset shifter ie Ultegra or 105

si_c

Guru
You don't say whether it's a DI2 shifter or whether you have disc brakes and which series it is, but assuming it's neither of those things, you can get a pair of shifters from Sigma Sports (ST-9100) for ~ £350. If you want disc brake and/or DI2 compatibility it rises from there to aroun £600 depending on location.

This is for the pair as mentioned above, you can probably get a single lever for a bit over half that price, but you'll likely have to order from Europe and that'll add import costs, there is one listed on ebay right now though for around £200.

OP
OP
P

pbart49

A couple of options.
Source one off of Ebay, you're best bet if you want to keep to DA
Get a lower groupset shifter ie Ultegra or 105
These sound like reasonable ideas. Can you have a different shifter on the left from the one on the right? Will an ultegra or 105 fit properly? Will it look much different if i go that route?

OP
OP
P

pbart49

I haven't checked, but I suspect that cost is for a replacement pair of shifters. So if you can find someone with a broken right shifter you could share the cost.

Or you could "do a Lance Armstrong". No not by being a doping a.hole, but by mounting a down tube shifter for the front and STI. for the rear.

For sensible suggestions, see @ianrauk 's answer above.
Wow.. I have a lot to learn! Down tube shifter and STI are things i dont know about yet… ill start looking into it. Thanks.

OP
OP
P

pbart49

You don't say whether it's a DI2 shifter or whether you have disc brakes and which series it is, but assuming it's neither of those things, you can get a pair of shifters from Sigma Sports (ST-9100) for ~ £350. If you want disc brake and/or DI2 compatibility it rises from there to aroun £600 depending on location.

This is for the pair as mentioned above, you can probably get a single lever for a bit over half that price, but you'll likely have to order from Europe and that'll add import costs, there is one listed on ebay right now though for around £200.
Thanks for your help. I guess I’ll the repair guy at REI could tell me what kind of brakes and which series i need. This is a Scott bicycle, pretty high end I was told. Very light weight and rides beautifully. It is a shame the shifter git damaged.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
These sound like reasonable ideas. Can you have a different shifter on the left from the one on the right? Will an ultegra or 105 fit properly? Will it look much different if i go that route?
If its the same speed then yes.
Yes they will look different, not a huge amount, but different never the less.

OP
OP
P

pbart49

What did you actually do to the shifter?

It may be that it is actually repairable but he wants to sell you a replacement (or can't be bothered to try to fix the old one?)...
I don't know how the shifter was damaged. Last time the bike was ridden, a couple of months ago, it was fine. Then we transported it in the back of our pick up from Arizona to Oregon. The bike was upright, with the front wheel removed and the front "struts" (I don't know what they are called), locked into a holder, similar to what keeps the wheel locked on the bike. We placed some light boxes on top of the handle bars....I'm guessing that's how the shifter got damaged, but don't really know. Can it be repaired if someone was knowledgeable?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That doesn't sound to me like something that should have wrecked a shifter!

I bet someone who knows what they are doing (and doesn't want to charge you for an expensive repair!) could sort it out for you at a much more reasonable price. Do you know anybody into bicycles who does their own repairs?

I fixed my own Campagnolo shifter using instructions in a video on YouTube.

Could you describe exactly what the damage is? I mean has something broken off, or is it not shifting at all? Is it trying to shift, but not getting the gear selection right?

I think in the US, that your left shifter would be changing the gears at the back? We have them the other way round here - the left shifter does the gear changing at the front.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
P

pbart49

That doesn't sound to me like something that should have wrecked a shifter!

I bet someone who knows what they are doing (and doesn't want to charge you for an expensive repair!) could sort it out for you at a much more reasonable price. Do you know anybody into bicycles who does their own repairs?

I fixed my own Campagnolo shifter using instructions in a video on YouTube.

Could you describe exactly what the damage is? I mean has something broken off, or is it not shifting at all? Is it trying to shift, but not getting the gear selection right?

I think in the US, that your left shifter would be changing the gears at the back? We have them the other way round here - the left shifter does the gear changing at the front.
Colin...thanks for your interest and response. It is the left shifter and it operates the front derailer. The brake part of this works fine. When you push the shifter handles, absolutely nothing happens at all, as though there was no cable attached to the handles. No noise, nothing trying to shift. I can't seen anything wrong, but I wouldn't know what to look for.

OP
OP
P

pbart49

Is the cable still securely bolted to the front mech arm? Can you move the front mech by hand?
Ignore the down tube shifter comment: was @Dogtrousers little joke.
@ColinJ it's the brake cables which sometimes differ. The STIs cannot swap (thing about it).
Yes, the cable is securely attached tot he front mech arm (not sure what that refers to , but it is attached at the shifter on the handle bars and at the derailer). I cannot move the derailer at all, the shifters and brake handles move easily.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Unclamp at the derailleur: the 'arm' is what the cable pulls on and about a pivot, pushes the cage out to shift into the large ring. Can you now move the cage out and back (arrange the chain so it doesn't get in the way)?
Hold onto the loose cable end and apply a little tension. Try clicking the STI, both levers, sequentially.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
P

pbart49

Unclamp at the derailleur: the 'arm' is what the cable pulls on and about a pivot, pushes the cage out to shift into the large ring. Can you now move the cage out and back (arrange the chain so it doesn't get in the way)?
Hold onto the loose cable end and apply a little tension. Try clicking the STI, both levers, sequentially.
Thanks for this...I will give it a try when I get the bike back from the shop...it may be a few days.

Top Bottom