Mudguard Stays broken/disconnected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

united4ever

Über Member
Mudguard really rattles on even slightly bumpy surface. On inspection, it seems of the two metal bars the top one has snapped or something. It doesn't even reach the bolt anymore. Weird thing is, identical thing happened on the other side. I recall no incident that has caused this so thinking, the lbs may have somehow botched this a few months ago and I didn't notice.

Anyway, is there a fix without replacing the guards. Asked in another bike shop and he said you could cut off the disconnected ones and manage with 1 stay on each side (it would rattle a lot) or get a brand new set of guards. He didn't recognise any branding on the guards so hard to get replacement stays only. What would you do?

1000004681.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
You can buy mudguard stays on everyone's favourite auction site.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You have suffered from a poor design of mudguard, specifically the parallel stays for that that guard material/thickness. Typically the stays anchor to two different places on the guard (as opposed to one): that gives both front and rear guards much better support (for that gauge of stay). It may be that there is additional movement because the guard is fixed to the rack: itself flexing around.
It's noticeable that the guard is fitted poorly (even without stay breakage) as its curve should follow the tyre (you should not be able to see between guard and tyre from the side).
LBS advice to 'cut the failed one off' is a reasonable temporary fix while you procure a replacement set.
Might your 'less than full' paniers have swung against the top stays (the one each side that broke)?
I am sorry you reach for the blame game: "the lbs may have somehow botched this a few months ago". How exactly, do you think the LBS "might have somehow botched this"? Did you buy them elsewhere and chose not to fit them yourself? Did they recommend the guards? What 'branding' IS on the guards?

Last edited:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
You have suffered from a poor design of mudguard, specifically the parallel stays for that that guard material/thickness. Typically the stays anchor to two different places on the guard (as opposed to one): that gives both front and rear guards much better support (for that gauge of stay). It may be that there is additional movement because the guard is fixed to the rack: itself flexing around.
It's noticeable that the guard is fitted poorly (even without stay breakage) as its curve should follow the tyre (you should not be able to see between guard and tyre from the side).
LBS advice to 'cut the failed one off' is a reasonable temporary fix while you procure a replacement set.
Might your 'less than full' paniers have swung against the top stays (the one each side that broke)?
I am sorry you reach for the blame game: "the lbs may have somehow botched this a few months ago". How exactly, do you think the LBS "might have somehow botched this"? Did you buy them elsewhere and chose not to fit them yourself? Did they recommend the guards? What 'branding' IS on the guards?

Agree poor design, my wife has similar design on her hybrid, lots more movement than more traditional stays spread apart, I'd rather than trying to replace a poor design leading to more movement and possible reason for snapping, get some new better quality, e.g SKS, though everyone has a favourite

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I had mine bodged with Gorilla tape for ages. I'd fitted a stand and I couldn't get that back off to get in and replace the mudguard. The tape bodge worked - no rattles - and then the bike was written off.

Punkawallah

Über Member
I had mine bodged with Gorilla tape for ages. I'd fitted a stand and I couldn't get that back off to get in and replace the mudguard. The tape bodge worked - no rattles - and then the bike was written off.

So don’t bodge it if you want the bike to survive ? :-)

Gillstay

Über Member
I would fit/clamp something across the back of the carrier and then locate the mudguard to the middle of it and throw the rest away.

biketrailerguy

What would you do?
Depends
If it's just rattling, and not actually impeding progress to any significant degree, I'd leave it - my front one has been rattling for years, and the noise is useful in pedestrian infested areas.
If feeling keen (rare) I'd bodge something - certainly wouldn't do anything that involved ££.
Some possibilities might include:
Wire coat hangers / fencing wire / Steel strands off industrial size SWA cable.
Electrical connector blocks
10 - 12mm alu tube.
Pop rivets
Baked bean can tinplate - or similar material

If *really* keen, I'd investigate the reasons for the front clip being cable tied, rather than being clipped where it's designed to go - and also consider adding a 4th support to minimise the possibilities of a similar failure mode in the future.

If in an exceptionally cheerful mood/ disposition, I'd change the mudguard for one with a different stay system - from my stock of the darned things, removed from scrap bikes / bins / skips etc.

Considering there's a thread elsewhere on this forum about 'de-blinging' bikes re theft - I'd suggest this is an excellent opportunity to start this process, if not already initiated?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
If *really* keen, I'd investigate the reasons for the front clip being cable tied, rather than being clipped where it's designed to go
Well spotted. That clip should go over the chainstay bridge. With its current fastening, it will allow significantly more twisting movement and (with the fulcrum of the seatstay bridge triangle clip) greater (than tolerance) lateral movement at the rear. Which may be the cause of the guard stays' failure and the increased rattling.
Has the chainstay bridge got a tapped thread? If so, use it.

Top Bottom