DuraAce Durability

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
Dura Ace and XTR are not purchesed by mere mortals but are bought for riders who are sponsored. So money is not an issue hence durabliitly is not important as components get replaced regulalrly.

Sitck to ultegra and XT - never had a problkem with either.

My XT rear shifter has been on for 14 years and altough badly worn, the spring seems to have lost enough tension to no longer give instant shifts - not bad for the miles done.

Rob S

Is a Dura Ace cassette Ti/part Ti? Ti sprockets do not last as long as steel...they're there to be lighter.

toontra

Veteran
Rob S said:
Is a Dura Ace cassette Ti/part Ti? Ti sprockets do not last as long as steel...they're there to be lighter.

On my 12-25 the rings 18 and above are ti, so I'll keep in the high gears then!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There was once a time when Dura Ace and Record used more normal sprockets (but better finished), but the quest for weight loss had dropped durability.

I still use Dura Ace UG sprockets (aka 1990's like my DA groupset), and get the block shipped from the US...

If you are using the bike a lot, drop the high end cassettes and get a cheaper heavier one !

yenrod

If anyone here reckons that DA stuff lasts ten yrs then they've another thing coming...many more of them :biggrin:

OP
OP
T
02GF74 said:
Dura Ace and XTR are not purchesed by mere mortals but are bought for riders who are sponsored. So money is not an issue hence durabliitly is not important as components get replaced regulalrly.

That's pretty much what I said to him. Thanks for input.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The non wearing parts will, but everything else will wear like any other bike, but will work better.

Who the hell wants to pay £100 or £200 for a sprocket set.... FFS ! (Campag are more expensive)

stevenb

SRAM seems pretty good to me. Shimano compatible.
As said above though...if your doing a fair few miles then to gain an extra 40-50 grams but save half the costs is better.
The new Ultegra SL range looks very nice....the existing ultegra stuff is great too.
I will soon find out....my new bike has a full SRAM Red groupset.

Dave5N

Über Member
02GF74 said:

My XT rear shifter has been on for 14 years and altough badly worn, the spring seems to have lost enough tension to no longer give instant shifts - not bad for the miles done.

Nonsense

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
02GF74 said:

in the club i ride with, we have an older fella who used to be a mechanic with team gb. his take on the higher spec stuff (record, dura ace etc) is that it is indeed designed for the pros, who value lightness over durability. hence the service life of the stuff is a lot lower than the cheaper stuff.

i have a mate with a campag record groupset, and he's snapped a crank and had a chain disintegrate.

how many of us would buy colin mcrea's rally car and drive it to work? so why do you want lance armstrong's bike unless it's for rare, special rides.

stevenb

I've chosen DUra Ace on my new bike.
I'm happy choosing an Ultegra cassette as and when the time comes to replace it though...or a SRAM....but if funds allow I'll choose Dura Ace. ;)
The larger cogs being titanium wont wear out eaily....well thats the theory anyway.

Top Bottom