Durano+ vs Marathon+

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Quite apart from my current drivetrain issues, I've noticed that my Marathon+ tyres are looking a bit worse for wear. I'd like to replace them with something a bit lighter and faster rolling, whilst maintaining the excellent "unscheduled deflation resistance" of the M+ – I've not had a visitation from the p******* fairy in 10 months, so I'd say that special blue rubber inside the M+ does the trick!

Going from 700x25c Marathon+ to 700x25c Durano+ would save a fair bit of weight (380g v 740g per tyre), so I presume they'll roll a bit better too – but can anyone confirm if the Durano's are as robust?

GrasB

Veteran
I can can confirm that they are not as robust but they're not very far behind. Usually I can get down to the blue with only 1 or 2 punctures per tyre right at the end of it's life. It's definitely faster & more compliant.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I can can confirm that they are not as robust but they're not very far behind. Usually I can get down to the blue with only 1 or 2 punctures per tyre right at the end of it's life. It's definitely faster & more compliant.
Excellent – thanks for that GrasB :thumbsup:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My first set of Durano + lasted well over 4k miles before the rear got replaced (I ran it underinflated for quite a while). The front is still going strong.

potsy

Rambler
Another D+ user here, certainly the toughest 'race' tyre I have used but not a patch on the M+ for resistance.
Have tried a few and have now decided to stick with them on my Secteur :thumbsup:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Have tried a few and have now decided to stick with them on my Secteur :thumbsup:

Are you running 25s? And is there enough room to fit crud road racers? (Can you get a 5mm allen key under the front and rear brake bridges?

I got a nail in my krylion and am looking for a replacement, 25mm Durano Pluses seem ideal if I can get the cruds on, or 23s if not.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You could always run a M+ on the rear and a mid range puncture protective on the front. I do this on the winter commuter.

Top Bottom