Durano+ vs Marathon+

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by mrmacmusic, 3 Aug 2012.

1. mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic Über Member

Quite apart from my current drivetrain issues, I've noticed that my Marathon+ tyres are looking a bit worse for wear. I'd like to replace them with something a bit lighter and faster rolling, whilst maintaining the excellent "unscheduled deflation resistance" of the M+ – I've not had a visitation from the p******* fairy in 10 months, so I'd say that special blue rubber inside the M+ does the trick!

Going from 700x25c Marathon+ to 700x25c Durano+ would save a fair bit of weight (380g v 740g per tyre), so I presume they'll roll a bit better too – but can anyone confirm if the Durano's are as robust?

2. GrasB

GrasB Veteran

I can can confirm that they are not as robust but they're not very far behind. Usually I can get down to the blue with only 1 or 2 punctures per tyre right at the end of it's life. It's definitely faster & more compliant.

3. OP
    OP
    mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic Über Member

Excellent – thanks for that GrasB :thumbsup:

4. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

My first set of Durano + lasted well over 4k miles before the rear got replaced (I ran it underinflated for quite a while). The front is still going strong.

5. Another D+ user here, certainly the toughest 'race' tyre I have used but not a patch on the M+ for resistance.
    Have tried a few and have now decided to stick with them on my Secteur :thumbsup:

6. PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur Specialized fanboy

Are you running 25s? And is there enough room to fit crud road racers? (Can you get a 5mm allen key under the front and rear brake bridges?

I got a nail in my krylion and am looking for a replacement, 25mm Durano Pluses seem ideal if I can get the cruds on, or 23s if not.

7. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

You could always run a M+ on the rear and a mid range puncture protective on the front. I do this on the winter commuter.

8. phil_hg_uk

phil_hg_uk I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!

Durano + 23's here for the last 2 years on my secteur elite.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice