Dutch bike curious

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think you'll have a bit of a job to tick all of the boxes tbh.

For a start, low-theft-risk usually means cheap and tatty, which usually also means not-so-great technically. It obviously depends on how anxious / risk averse you are but personally I'd not entertain the idea of leaving anything locked up at a train station other than a complete tatty rotter; otherwise it's bound to go missing.. and even then it's likely that the local smackheads will still show some interest as a means of chasing their dealer round the city..

I'd expect a shopping hack to be a bit safer, since it's less likely to be left for any enormous length of time and perhaps in a less thefty location.

For what it's worth I have two utility bikes - a somewhat (intentionally) tatty and almost worthless Raleigh Routier that owes me about £30 and is intended for the most dangerous missions - being left outside the pub in dodgy areas etc.. I've also just bought a Fuji Touring that'll probably owe me a couple of hundred quid when all's said and done - nicer and more capable / better for longer journeys, but I'd not feel comfortable leaving this for more than maybe 20 mins while I'm in the supermarket.. however I'm very risk averse.

I appreciate that these don't tick too many of your boxes so not necessarily recommending them; although the Fuji has quite a lot of stack and you could always make it more relaxed by flipping the stem / fitting one with more rise. I'd certainly recommend something similar for longer utility journeys, but it's probably a bit un-necessary / overkill for short urban trips.

These aside I think your best bet would be a modest, modern hybrid of some sort - which will give you most of what you want with the exception of a chain case.

Alternatively if you wanted to go old school there seem to be plenty of nice old British town bikes around for not a lot of money - some examples from ebay (not nec. endorsements):

This old Raleigh; maybe from the '50s:

s-l1600.jpg

Something more modern perhaps - Raleigh seemed to do some now-super-retro-cool town bikes in the '70s, like the Esquire and this Traveller (without the gash bar extensions):

s-l1600.jpg

Or this Mahatten:

s-l1600.jpg

On the one hand I'd feel a bit bad leaving something with so much character that's survived for so locked up at the mercy of light-fingered scallies; on the other hand it's far less likely to appeal to theives than something modern - certainly from the perspective of resale.

Obviously the older stuff won't be so good in terms of performance (worse brakes, three-speed hubs with a limited range and big jumps) but for short town journeys this is less of an issue..

Oh, finally prices on ebay always seem to be "optimistic" so (if you can tolerate the high proportion of knobheads) FB marketplace isn't a bad place to look.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Just spotted this Esquire - a mate has one and it oozes retro charm :becool:

s-l1600.jpg

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Welcome to the forum OP.

I rate Gazelle’s modern bikes. For utility, shopping and short distance commuting, anyway.

My local bike shop is selling the low-step Vento, with Shimano Nexus 7 speed for £700. You would get a deal, I’m sure. The Van Stael they build is a new mixte and rather nice.

ive ridden Gazelle bikes for twenty years and had no problems.

Maybe find a bike shop which stocks these - and others - and have a few test rides.

Mike_P

Guru
My ebike is a Dutch Roadster and perfect for shopping etc as if using a rucksack the high vertical seating position means limited strain on the back. It's quite common to find it has found some other ebikes to keep it company whilst I have been in the edge of town centre Asda, the local terrain being hilly for many. Those cycle stands have been relocated to an undercover location close to the main pedestrian walking route from the car park.
Morrisons are similarly in a very public position although out in the open whereas all the other stores have their cycle stands tucked around the corner where whilst public not as frequented - use is made of a decent D lock along with the ebikes built in wheel clamp

This was peak mixte for me. 50-36 up front (original Stronglight), and 12-36t 9-speed. Not much you can't ride with that. Get higher and more swept bars, and there's your lightweight town bike. OK, those are really *not* runabout wheels, but you get the idea...
Modern dual-pivot brakes, 28mm tyres for comfort (room for bigger), not too hard to step through, good for me because I have some limitations in that regard. This one was Ishiwata 0245 frame with 531 fork, about 26lb as you see it.
DSC00086.JPG

OP
OP
TenaciousDH

TenaciousDH

Thanks again for all the responses. Looks like I'll be going with vintage or second hand, some of the newer bikes are great but I can't afford any of them presently. I quite fancy a mixte restoration project, again I can take my time and pick up components as and when.

Top Bottom