Dutchman cleared of 'manslaughter by furious or wanton driving' in Manchester .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"The court heard Mr De Bruin he pressed his brakes and 'tried to swerve to the right' to avoid Mr Gunn, who had moved 'backwards and forwards' in an effort to avoid the oncoming cyclist."

The key part of this is " moved backwards". Pedestrians moving backwards into collision seems to be common factor in many of the few cycle related pedestrian deaths. You cannot predict the motion of a pedestrian and if you aim to avoid, they may change direction to interception course again.
Sometimes you have to choose between braking and manouvering since you cannot do both at the same time.
Add in a cycle lane, forcing the rider close to the curb where you have no distance or time to react.
I generally veer out to a primary position if I see a pedestrian think about stepping off the curb.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I don’t suppose that he was seen jumping a red light helped much, sometime before the collision when evidence was heard, but 20mph on a road, isn’t unheard of. Also what had wearing headphones got to do with anything? Not illegal, just maybe ill advised in a busy area. I look around our area and see many car drivers wearing them. Also ill advised.

I don’t suppose that had a car hit a pedestrian, that the DM would have dedicated as many column inches. Sad though it is that a person died in the collision.

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In the comments people were saying the justice system in the country has broken blaming the judiciary.
It was Jury trial though. The judge would only have done a summing up. I'm sure there must have been at least a few anti cyclists on it, yet they chose to acquit him. I can't see a fairer way to bring him to account.

This no doubt helped the case for the defence:-

“During an interview with police, Ms Orzsic said that it was difficult to blame either of the men regarding the collision and added: 'They just saw each other at the last second.'”

presta

Guru
This happened to me about 30 years ago, I'd guess I was doing 14-15mph (because I'm not that fast), and there was an OAP ahead standing at the kerb. He gave me no reason to suppose he hadn't seen me, but he stepped off the kerb at the last minute, and my left shoulder caught him square on the jaw (that he hadn't got right out in front of the bike shows how late it was when he moved).

I turned to find him spitting out a mouthful of teeth, but fortunately they were false ones, so when he assured me he was fine I rode off, but in hindsight if he'd had a brain haemhorrage an hour later I could have been in quite a difficult position (and so would he, of course).

if a car can go 30mph why can't I
It is a limit though, not a challenge, and if people spot a bike they're less likely to be expecting it to be moving at 30mph. I recall descending Kirkstone Pass at speed, and as I approached a slow bus coming up the other way trailing a queue of cars, I was quite anxious that one of them might get impatient, and think "oh, he's only on a bike, he won't be going very fast".

The key part of this is " moved backwards". Pedestrians moving backwards into collision seems to be common factor in many of the few cycle related pedestrian deaths. You cannot predict the motion of a pedestrian and if you aim to avoid, they may change direction to interception course again.
Sometimes you have to choose between braking and manouvering since you cannot do both at the same time.
Walking along the pavement toward someone coming the other way, it's very common for each to sidestep the same way, then both go the other way etc. Bike or car, I tend to be more of a braker than a swerver, but I don't really know why, it's just my automatic reaction.

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't think the cyclist was riding with due care and attention the Nissan Micra driver was and thus missed him.

The driver went through a red light ( showing contempt of the law) and was wearing ear phones was distracted.

I for one tend to slow down when I'm riding through a town even if below the speed limit.

I don't think the cyclist was riding with due care and attention the Nissan Micra driver was and thus missed him.

The driver went through a red light ( showing contempt of the law) and was wearing ear phones was distracted.

I for one tend to slow down when I'm riding through a town even if below the speed limit.

Ear phones are distracting ?
So anyone in a car with the windows wound up and the radio on is just as distracted?

GeekDadZoid

Über Member

It's hard to judge with he reported details as there are lots of variables. But I have seen similar situations on the motorway where the leading vehicle heading towards the rear of a queue doesn't slow down but just changes lanes to avoid it, the car behind gets a suprise view of stationary traffic and has to slam the anchors on.

I have actually been in a collision with a pedestrian at the other end of the Wilmslow Road / Oxford Road, very different circumstances and outcome fortunately.

Very sad for the deceased and his family what ever the circumstances.

Top Bottom