Dutchman cleared of 'manslaughter by furious or wanton driving' in Manchester .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Are you suggesting nobody who is deaf should be allowed to ride a bike,

That whataboutery is often raised in such discussions.

But:

Previous research, including studies performed by the lab director, Helen Neville Ph.D., has shown that people who are born deaf are better at processing peripheral vision and motion. Deaf people may process vision using many different brain regions, especially auditory areas, including the primary auditory cortex.

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/news/2012...rformed,including the primary auditory cortex.

And:
A new study provides evidence of this rewiring in the brains of deaf people. The study, published in The Journal of Neuroscience, shows people who are born deaf use areas of the brain typically devoted to processing sound to instead process touch and vision. Perhaps more interestingly, the researchers found this neural reorganization affects how deaf individuals perceive sensory stimuli, making them susceptible to a perceptual illusion that hearing people do not experience

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/superpowers-for-the-blind-and-deaf/

Alex321

Veteran
with the windows shut, can you hear what's going on outside? That is to say, better than you could with earphones in?

Yes.

Headphones shut out most of the external noise, there is a lot you will hear over the sound of the radio that you wouldn't if you had headphones on. Even with the windows shut in a car.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't think the cyclist was riding with due care and attention the Nissan Micra driver was and thus missed him.

The driver went through a red light ( showing contempt of the law) and was wearing ear phones was distracted.

If he drover through a red light the Nissan Micra driver is hardly driving with due care and attention

You are shifting the discussion.

The point you initially made was:

Earphones isolate the user from the external environment in the way a speaker does not. They isolate and distract. With speakers, we can filter sounds

Ever hear your name in someone's conversation across a room at a party?

"The cocktail party effect is the phenomenon of the brain's ability to focus one's auditory attention on a particular stimulus while filtering out a range of other stimuli, such as when a partygoer can focus on a single conversation in a noisy room."

https://www.audiology.org/the-cocktail-party-effect/#:~:text=The cocktail-party effect refers,stimuli (i.e., noise).

As cyclists, we all know the problem of earphone users not hearing bike bells or even full-throated bellows from behind, I find that is not a problem when the walker in front is listening to a mobile speaker as opposed to headphones.
I'm out walking the dog now.
I have headphones on. I can hear the birds tweeting and the wind rustling the leaves and the pad of my dogs paws.

It's a podcast I'm listening to so just because I have headphones on doesn't mean I'm isolated. I can hear so much more than any driver can.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Thank you for your erudite and well-thought contribution to the discussion.

doesn't make him wrong. I too find your claim hard to believe. OK, just maybe for full on headphones, but in-ear ones - not my experience of them

As an aside it is strongly recommended to wear actual ear plugs on a motorcycle as wind noise at speed damages hearing

It is a very big claim that (even) small earphones on a push bike stop you hearing stuff around you more than windows shut and radio in a car. It's implausible frankly.

That said, I've never worn earphones cycling but have in the office and at home and I can hear stuff in my vicinity

Jameshow

Veteran
If he drover through a red light the Nissan Micra driver is hardly driving with due care and attention

The rider drive through the red light apparently - my mistake.

PK99

Legendary Member
doesn't make him wrong. I too find your claim hard to believe. OK, just maybe for full on headphones, but in-ear ones - not my experience of them

As an aside it is strongly recommended to wear actual ear plugs on a motorcycle as wind noise at speed damages hearing

It is a very big claim that (even) small earphones on a push bike stop you hearing stuff around you more than windows shut and radio in a car. It's implausible frankly.

That said, I've never worn earphones cycling but have in the office and at home and I can hear stuff in my vicinity

A number of times in the past few weeks on shared paths or park trails I have ridden up behind an in-ear earphone-wearing pedestrian, bell a diggling for some way and, when close giving a vocal warning, increasing to a full-on 100kg male bellow, only for the pedestrian to remain oblivious to my presence until I am very slowly alongside and physically startling.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A number of times in the past few weeks on shared paths or park trails I have ridden up behind an in-ear earphone-wearing pedestrian, bell a diggling for some way and, when close giving a vocal warning, increasing to a full-on 100kg male bellow, only for the pedestrian to remain oblivious to my presence until I am very slowly alongside and physically startling.

Fair enough but would they have heard you any better in a car with the radio on?

D

Deleted member 26715

But that could well be down the volume that they were set at & not the absolute fact they were wearing them, also in this instance surely it was the cyclists eyes that were more important than hearing. Either way it was a tragic accident & the jury believed it was just that.

Alex321

Veteran
The cyclist was described as "wearing headphones" in this case. And that is what I was talking about - note I specifically said "headphones" rather than "earphones"

I'm not sure anybody has claimed that.

There is a massive difference in my experience between what you can hear with headphones on and what you can hear with the in-ear earphones. I use both on a regular basis (not when cycling or driving)

icowden

Veteran
The rider drive through the red light apparently - my mistake.
The cyclist turned left and went through a red light to do so, rather than coming to a stop (as you should) and then continuing. Presumably the road was clear. Not excusing it, but it doesn't seem like the worst offence in the world. What's puzzling me is the reference to Tesco express as I can't find one on the route the cyclist was on. Sainsbury's local - yes, Tesco no.

Top Bottom