Dutchman cleared of 'manslaughter by furious or wanton driving' in Manchester .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

icowden

Veteran
They *are* exempt from speed limits, because posted speed limits only apply to *motor* vehicles.
Yes - I meant to say that they are not exempt from the law as a result of exceeding a speed limit as dependent on cirucmstances there are other things they could be charged with. But quite right.

I've only just heard about this incident - sorry, late, I know.

But my, this thread has filled up my bingo card! Nothing left to say really, except maybe:

RIP the pedestrian, and glad to see a sensible verdict reached.

Solocle

Über Member
They aren't. They can't be done for speeding however as it is not mandatory for a bike to have a calibrated speedometer - thus it is not reasonable to expect a cyclist to know how fast they are going. They can however be done for careless cycling, wanton cycling, dangerous cycling etc if their pace is not appropriate for the circumstance and depending on what has happened.

I'd have thought that with 99% of cyclists not wanting to fall / be knocked off / badly injured that it would be reasonably rare for someone to be cycling well over the speed limit for any period of time.

Not any period of time, but the first time I broke 50 mph was down East Chevin into Otley. It becomes 30 mph halfway down, about where you're just getting up to speed.

There's also a really excellent forward view.
1663946998129.png

I wouldn't ride at a speed that I felt was unsafe - but 50 mph felt safe there!

brommieinkorea

I learn a lot about British law every time I read stuff in this forum..
But, it's nice to see that justice has more or less prevailed. In the US this would probably have gone badly for the cyclist because: It is illegal to wear headphones/earbuds in or on a vehicle here, and using them while operating any vehicle shows a lack of regard for safety. Additionally the prosecution would have pointed out that had the cyclist stopped at the red light (did he not deny running a light?), he would not have been in the same place at the same time and would have completely missed the pedestrian .
Someone mentioned physics. Yes it is fairly improbable that a bicycle colliding with a healthy adult would cause said pedestrian's death.
I do believe this seems a complete accident and neither party looked well enough to avoid it , sad really.

Reactions: C R

classic33

Leg End Member
Not any period of time, but the first time I broke 50 mph was down East Chevin into Otley. It becomes 30 mph halfway down, about where you're just getting up to speed.

There's also a really excellent forward view.
View attachment 662087
I wouldn't ride at a speed that I felt was unsafe - but 50 mph felt safe there!
Have you been passed going down there by someone in a car.

The danger point/point to watch for is where the "newer" housing starts. Very few cars parked up on that hill.

Solocle

Über Member
Have you been passed going down there by someone in a car.

The danger point/point to watch for is where the "newer" housing starts. Very few cars parked up on that hill.

Nope, not been passed by a car. What did get annoying was when a car passed you at the top of the hill, and then held you up :laugh:

I always viewed the bend just before crossing the A660 as the natural point to slow down, which held when I went down there again doing LEJOG.

classic33

Leg End Member
Nope, not been passed by a car. What did get annoying was when a car passed you at the top of the hill, and then held you up :laugh:

I always viewed the bend just before crossing the A660 as the natural point to slow down, which held when I went down there again doing LEJOG.

Almost as though they've to give the car a breather/chance to get its second wind before continuing.

Solocle

Über Member
Looks a bit bumpy.

Tbh it looks worse than it is, I had a vibration problem with the camera that I eventually solved with some electrical tape.

The 2nd clip, Fleet Moss, from the same day, is faster, and that was bumpy. I think with fresh legs and a serious attempt I could break 60 mph down there, rather than 57. :eek:

Otley really feels smooth, at least in comparison.

simongt

Guru
You cannot predict the motion of a pedestrian and if you aim to avoid, they may change direction to interception course again.
Indeed. Recently whilst walking along a shared path, I'd moved to my right to look at a feature; this is a former railway line, and as I was moving back onto the path proper, I was suddenly made aware of a cyclist moving rather faster than he should have been ( I'd heard the sound of his tyres on the tarmac ) as there were other pedestrians on the path, approaching me. He began swerving to left and right as he got very close, he was exclaiming 'Whoa, whoa, whoa' and as I wasn't too sure which direction he intended to take, I was also dodging to try and avoid him. Whether he had a bell or not, but he made no audible warning of his approach in good time, hence the dance routine between us. :whistle:

Top Bottom