Dying Villages.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
This is something that most of us who meander around the countryside will have noticed.
Out yesterday for a ride and went through Ashwellthorpe, south west of Wymondham. It's described as 'a village with basic amenities' and dates back to the 1500s.
As I went through, I saw the White Horse, the long closed pub, a house named 'The Old Post Office'; say no more and a very empty Happy Shopper establishment. And that was it, nothing else. :sad:
But there's plenty of new build houses going up there - ! :wacko:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's happening, or has happened, throughout the UK and in many other countries.

Transportation, internet shopping and the desire for higher earnings have closed most village amenities.

Some open as community-run pubs/shops/Post Offices or farm shops but most have gone.

When SWMBO and I move in a few years time we'll look for a large village, but finding one with decent amenities will be tough.

This is something that most of us who meander around the countryside will have noticed.
Out yesterday for a ride and went through Ashwellthorpe, south west of Wymondham. It's described as 'a village with basic amenities' and dates back to the 1500s.
As I went through, I saw the White Horse, the long closed pub, a house named 'The Old Post Office'; say no more and a very empty Happy Shopper establishment. And that was it, nothing else. :sad:

This is something of an issue here as well, although I'm always astonished at how many small to medium sized businesses there are locally.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
I call them “Old” villages, they are full of houses and cottages called the old bakers ,butchers or post office. With maybe the Old Pig and Whistle or Red Lion house . I nearly forgot there will be a Chapel converted into business or residential use .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When SWMBO and I move in a few years time we'll look for a large village, but finding one with decent amenities will be tough.
I think of Todmorden (and Hebden Bridge before that) as being very large villages. Good shops and transport links, but not overpowering in scale. Not as pretty as 'proper' country villages though, and the traffic can be a pain. Still, with a bit of effort to climb one of the steep local hills, I can be in great countryside in 5-10 minutes.

Slick

Guru

Not a village, but I live in a town that's not immune from change, but it does buck the trend in terms of the sheer number of thriving independent businesses that I try and do my bit to support. Ironically, I can't stand going anywhere near my LBS, but he seems to be doing fine without me. I do see a number of villages who seem to struggle now the world has moved on, but I can't help but think, the sooner people accept the world has changed and small local pubs can only survive by doing really good food and being the only show in town, and instead of bemoaning what we had, think about what could succeed with the right support. There are successful stories country wide, someone just needs to adjust these examples to make it work elsewhere. Obviously cash is always the biggest obstacle, but that shouldn't be an excuse to do nothing.

Drago

Legendary Member
Were quite lucky here in ourr village. Busy little shop, private club and the pub is back making money. It perhaps helps that the next nearest village has nothing of its own so they come here as well.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
On Mull a lot of the settlers are cock a hoop that Morrisons have started doing deliveries to the local ferry terminal. Spoilsports point out that they are destroying part of the local economy and village shops cannot compete on price but will put an order together for a customer to be either collected or delivered.
Many bemoan the loss of butchers, greengrocers and general stores but if they all buy from elsewhere what else do they expect?
On the mainland I can see the attraction of doing a big shop in a supermarket but why come and live in a place like this and expect the same?

Mind you some do not help themselves. The cafe at the Fishnish ferry terminal is closing for a week's holiday next week. If you run a business like a cafe at a ferry terminal people expect you to be there from first sailing till last every day, particularly at the peak of the tourist season.
It offends my business instincts that they just play at it and deprive somebody else of the opportunity to make a living running a proper business. :angry:

Slick

Guru
On Mull a lot of the settlers are cock a hoop that Morrisons have started doing deliveries to the local ferry terminal. Spoilsports point out that they are destroying part of the local economy and village shops cannot compete on price but will put an order together for a customer to be either collected or delivered.
Many bemoan the loss of butchers, greengrocers and general stores but if they all buy from elsewhere what else do they expect?
On the mainland I can see the attraction of doing a big shop in a supermarket but why come and live in a place like this and expect the same?

Mind you some do not help themselves. The cafe at the Fishnish ferry terminal is closing for a week's holiday next week. If you run a business like a cafe at a ferry terminal people expect you to be there from first sailing till last every day, particularly at the peak of the tourist season.
It offends my business instincts that they just play at it and deprive somebody else of the opportunity to make a living running a proper business. :angry:

I have to say, I've never lived on the islands but I have worked on most of them and I think its clear that few fully understand the real challenges that can bring.

Last edited:

Twilkes

Guru

It did strike me as odd that the Craignure Spar didn't stay open for just another ten minutes to catch any custom from the ferry that arrives just before 6pm, but I guess you've got to draw the line somewhere. The inn up the road was doing decent business though, all of the few pubs I went into had staff who seemed to be enjoying their jobs.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
When I bought my static caravan in leafy North Yorkshire more than 10 years ago I had visions of tootling from village to village, picking up a snack here and a drink there.

Of course, what I found was very, very few of the villages had much in the way of amenities.

I would say we tend to get the services we deserve.

Hardly any people use the local pub, but dozens turn up for a protest meeting when the publican finally says he's no longer prepared to pay to keep the place open.

Same thing happens with local food shops.

Too many folk call in only to get what they forgot to pick up in Tesco.

Top Bottom