Dying Villages.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Hollyhead is the only place I've ever seen a chipshop "closed for lunch". And on another occasion going for a curry (a mistake - should have gone for chips) heard
the waiter making a phone call "how do you cook popadoms?". What we got wasn't exactly a curry as you'd understand it, but seemingly something out of a tin.

As an aside I was once reading "the mabinogion", (a set of very old Welsh stories and legends) albeit translated into English and was recounting "the dream of Macsen Wledig" to a mate. Roman emperor Macsen (aka Maximus) dreams that he will marry a beautiful princess to be found on an island beyond another island, which turns out to be Anglesea, off the coast of (island) Britain. My mate commented "I find that hard to believe; I've been to Anglesea"

Oban had a chip shop which closed for lunch about 40 years ago. Different nowadays.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Carcentric retail dominance

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think of Todmorden (and Hebden Bridge before that) as being very large villages. Good shops and transport links, but not overpowering in scale. Not as pretty as 'proper' country villages though, and the traffic can be a pain. Still, with a bit of effort to climb one of the steep local hills, I can be in great countryside in 5-10 minutes.

I'd say Hebden Bridge is more of a small town and the shops are more set up for tourists than locals. People tend to go to the Lidl at Todmorden for grocery shopping. The Coop in Hedben Bridge in very expensive. You couldnt do a proper weeks grocery shop there.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd say Hebden Bridge is more of a small town and the shops are more set up for tourists than locals. People tend to go to the Lidl at Todmorden for grocery shopping. The Coop in Hedben Bridge in very expensive. You couldnt do a proper weeks grocery shop there.
I remember hearing a few young residents of Hebden Bridge talking of "going to town" for a Friday night out. They were referring to Halifax. But yes - a small town or a large village.

Yes - I always found HB Co-op a bit lacking in range, and expensive. I see quite a lot of people from HB over in Tod at Lidl, Aldi or Morrisons.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I recently cycled through the village I lived in when I was 13 or so.
Then, it had six pubs, a shop, a post office and a garage.
It's now got a gastropub. Whoopee-doo.

Top Bottom