Dynamo front light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
indeed, perhaps you have better eyes than me

that or you're going to cry off the dun with a cracked skull

the street lights do come with a price though remeber, a tad harder hitting then a pheasant

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Tynan said:
indeed, perhaps you have better eyes than me

that or you're going to cry off the dun with a cracked skull

the street lights do come with a price though remeber, a tad harder hitting then a pheasant

Ah but round these ways we have kamakazi stealth pheasants who throw themselves at your front wheel when you are least expecting it.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
tried it this evening, late finish, not terrible but noticeable, I could feel myself driving it, mind you I could feel it even after flicking it off so perhaps something in the mind too, decent pool of light but more of a wide spot than a wide beam

see how dark it gets on the dun run I guess

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Tynan said:
tried it this evening, late finish, not terrible but noticeable, I could feel myself driving it, mind you I could feel it even after flicking it off so perhaps something in the mind too, decent pool of light but more of a wide spot than a wide beam

see how dark it gets on the dun run I guess

Well my twin smarts last for about 3 hours ish and then its the down to the leds. I shall just tuck in behind you if its too dark or rely on my countryside eyesight :biggrin:

Cullin

Über Member
In this day of technology, where most folk have GPS, Mobile phones, has anyone tried a 12v bottle dynamo and a small alarm battery.
Trickle charge the battery, which in turn gives you an output via a car cigar adaptor.

jimboalee

http://www.aukweb.net/lights/index.htm

Go to this ( Audax UK ) website and choose 'Lighting'.

Most generators are 6 V with a 3 W output. The best light I've seen from one is a full rectified wave going to a 2.5 W LED and 'stand' battery.

There is a web page somewhere which has the circuit diagram for the electronics bit. I lashed up a simple one on my BSA 20 ( Sturmey Dynohub ) and the Tesco 3W torch shone good.

There is a 12 V. 6 W unit available. It looks cheap. Maybe worth a spend to see if a 5 W LED runs on it through a rectifier.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
piedwagtail91 said:
the best dynamo/hub driven light I've come across is the lumotec fly iq, it's 40 lux led and is very bright,
it's more expensive than the one quoted for but should last indefinitely, without the bulb problems.
http://www.bumm.de/index-e.html
click on catalogue, headlights lumotec fly iq. it shows the difference in brightness.
i used it last winter and theres no problem going down 30 mph twisty descents
I use the IQ Fly on my work bike, some of the commute is on unlit roads and I can see well; there is a new 60 lux version that is even brighter; haven't tried that one yet though!

2717279090_945102f6e1_m.jpg
2717278382_2576fd13f0_m.jpg

Busch_Muller_IQ_Fly_smallest.jpg
IQ Fly 40 lux
Busch_Muller_IQ_Cyo_N_Plus_small.jpg
IQ Cyo 60 lux​

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm about to order some new wheels for my commute bike from the LBS. I'm going for a hub generator and IQ fly (although I'll check that Cyo out too).

Jonathan M

I've used a Basta Pilot with a Shimano Nexus hub dynamo for a few years, drag isn't too bad (less than a bottle dynamo) and I'm happy with the light output. Weight og the hub is about the only downside.

OP
OP
Tynan

Tynan

Veteran
thread from the grave!

I ditched the dynamo in the end, never used it after the first trial

lashed out loads on a dinky little joystick maxx, tiny and puts out a very bright light and burns for 9 hours on the low setting, it was just bright enough for solo riding on the darkest of winding lanes, bloody handsome for a commuter light

dynamos for budgets I reckon

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
lashed out loads on a dinky little joystick maxx, tiny and puts out a very bright light and burns for 9 hours on the low setting,

dynamos for budgets I reckon
These days, if you fork out the £75 for a dynamo light like the Cyo 60 above (and another £100 for a decent dynamo wheel), it's a bright as a joystick on high, and burns for as long as you keep riding.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Cullin said:
In this day of technology, where most folk have GPS, Mobile phones, has anyone tried a 12v bottle dynamo and a small alarm battery.
Trickle charge the battery, which in turn gives you an output via a car cigar adaptor.

You'd need to be doing 14-15mph to generate the voltage required to charge a 12v battery directly (or nearly so).
There are various circuits around on the interweb for DIY dynamo chargers, but there's not really enough of a market for anyone to have come up with a product.

Probably a better option is to get a power regulator IC designed for 5V and wire it up to a USB port. It was discussed a few months back (here, ACF, bikeradar or CTC)

Cullin

Über Member
Thank you for that Andrew S,
The charging speed would not be a problem.
I was hoping not to have to build one.
I did think that with the kit that people carry that does require a 12v car socket and mains adaptors, that there would be something off the shelf...
Maybe a business opertunity idea for any unemployed ex electronics cyclist in this time of doom and gloom, small cottage industry.
I am sure they could sell a few if they were at a reasonable cost.
There would be an order for 4 in this household.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Well, ordered my wheels from the LBS this morning and a B&M Cyo from SJS.

When fitted they'll treble the value of my crusty commuter bike (at least). I'll actually have to start worrying about it being nicked. Still, they won't make it look any better.

Top Bottom