Dynamo hub light bracket for disk frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
(1),
The Candelas/lumens don't increase but the LUXX does when you focus the light into a beam (*measured at a set distance from the emitter)
You appear to think that lumens and candelas are the same. This is wrong.

Candelas are lumens per steradian (solid angle), lux are lumens per square metre.
Candelas depend on beam focus in the same way as lux, but are independent of the distance to the light source.
There are 4π steradians in a sphere, hence my comment about 12 lumens = 1 candela implying that light is emitted uniformly in all directions.

At 1m, 1 candela is the same as 1 lux
At 2m, 1 candela is the same as 0.25 lux, or, alternatively, 1 lux is the same as 4 candelas.

Lux figures are normally quoted at a distance of 10m, because that's the distance that German STVzO light tests measure at.
In that case, 1 lux = 100 candelas

Last edited:
You appear to think that lumens and candelas are the same. This is wrong.

Candelas are lumens per steradian (solid angle), lux are lumens per square metre.
Candelas depend on beam focus in the same way as lux, but are independent of the distance to the light source.

At 1m, 1 candela is the same as 1 lux
At 2m, 1 candela is the same as 0.25 lux, or, alternatively, 1 lux is the same as 4 candelas.

Lux figures are normally quoted at a distance of 10m, because that's the distance that German STVzO light tests measure at.
In that case, 1 lux = 100 candelas
I have just been taught how to fish.

Thanks.

jiberjaber

Veteran
I bought one of these a couple of years ago and despite my reservations on how sturdy it was at the time it's still going strong!

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting-spares/additive-spacer-one-light-holder/

1579776350199.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Unless you are prepared to fabricate something for that rear crown mount, the simplest consumer solution would be to buy a handlebar mount. Is there a good reason for wanting to avoid this, other than ascetics?

The German road bike dynamo light beam patterns are designed for mounting the light top of fork. Mounting on the handlebars gives a much inferior lighting up of the road ahead.

The German road bike dynamo light beam patterns are designed for mounting the light top of fork. Mounting on the handlebars gives a much inferior lighting up of the road ahead.
I briefly ran my B&M IQ-X on handlebars of my road bike, before transferring it to my current bike with a crown mount, and honestly it worked ok. It was never like the light was bright enough to see by anyway, but still sufficient to avoid debris and potholes at night. Although, I can appreciate why you'd want to use the beam as intended where possible, it may just not be as big as issue as you might imagine.

Top Bottom