Dynamo set up - going for a SON, what else do I need?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
A switch?

Indeed.

I must admit I'd assumed, from the dynamo lights that I'd seen, that they came without switches and you left them on all the time, but looking around the Schmidt Edelux lights, for example, have switches. Are there others? Or do they all have on/off switches but people don't use them?

Last edited:

andym

Über Member
That seems like the simplest option. Thanks.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
My lights have a three-position switch: off, automatic, on. Automatic switches the lights on when it gets dark, but I just leave them on all the time – there's next to zero resistance, and lights help visibility even in daylight.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
They do annoy the hell out of railway employees though.
One had a word, but was happy enough when I let them know I was aware of the issue with red lights and trains (slam the brakes on first, ask questions afterwards) and always positioned the bike so the rear light isn't visible to drivers. Haven't had anyone query it since.

Also - is it worth splashing out for a cache battery? Keeping in mind that it'd only give my phone (as an example) half a charge if it was fully charged? That is without pedaling mind, so very worst case scenario.

This may depend somewhat on your phone: some may be more sensitive to current flow than others. I know for example that my Garmin GPS is a pain without a battery between the dynamo/e-Werk and itself.

In the past I used a PedalPower+ Super-I-Cable but retired that for a e-Werk which I use in combination with an Anker E5 15,000 mah. During the day riding I may if necessary top-up the Anker battery (it sits in my handlebar bag) and then overnight in the tent I use the Anker to charge my phone, GPS etc. For me I get far more buck for my dollar spent on the Anker than I do with a Busch & Muller cache battery.

Andrew

Top Bottom