Dynamo wheelset advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

acuna_read

I'm after getting a dynamo wheel/set for Audaxing and touring/bikepacking whichever you wished to call it. Need to be QR and disc brake as I have decided to keep my current Equilibrium rather than changing for the next year, although my decision on that seems to change with the wind. This however means that they will have a relatively limited shelf life of a year or so as the next bike is likely to be thru axle (unless the standard has changed again by then) and would therefore like to spend as little as possible. I'm looking to use the dyanmo for lighting and charging devices/batteries.

Based on this I'm probably looking at an SP dynamo rather than a SON so any suggestion on wheels or builders which are suitable, had a look at Spa cycles and they seem to be as good a deal as any unless anyone has suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks for any help.

Edit: QR, disc and 700c if anyone has anything second hand which may be suitable.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you want cheap go Shimano. Here you go

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m20b0s133p4385/SHIMANO-DH-UR700-3D

Work just as well as other dynamos.

CXRAndy

Guru
I have used SON and cheaper Shimano dynamos. There is little if anything in performance, output or drag. Get a Shimano 3W 6V and save the pennies for relacing.

Wandrin

I went for the SON-28 and it's great but fully loaded, when the weather came in, I wasn't fast enough to run lights and charge my phone as fast as the GPS/maps were discharging it.

Possible fixes, SON-20, a proper satnav or a higher level of fitness!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You will probably save some money by purchasing from Taylor Wheels. I use their dyno wheels on my commuter and they have been bullet proof. I use exactly the spec you are looking for and paid under a hundred for front shimano Aldine Dynamo hub fitted to a magic rim. If you check with them they may offer a hub that you can convert from QR to Thru Axle For a future bike.
https://www.taylor-wheels.com/bike-wheels/28-inch-bike-wheel/?p=1&o=2&n=12&f=34

Top Bottom